HOW TO? Easily change 20.2 Mate theme to mimic 18.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

HOW TO? Easily change 20.2 Mate theme to mimic 18.3

Post by Webtest »

Blessings Esteemed Forum Participants & Lurkers:
NOTE: Attemting to move from LM18.3 Mate 64 to LM20.2 Mate 64 LOCKED LiveMedia system

Gads ... moving my LiveMedia system from LM18.3 (EOL), which I have used for several years, to LM20.2 (LTS) is a gross migraine inducing trauma. My printer doesn't work, the codecs don't load, and all of the operational hints provided by icon styles and file sort order are scrambled, which leads to the question of this post:

Is there any easy way to change the entire theme of LM20.2 Mate 64 to very closely mimic LM18.3 Mate 64? To achieve that would be an immense blessing. Thank you for any and all comments, suggestions, and assistance.

Blessings in abundance, all the best,
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: HOW TO? Easily change 20.2 Mate theme to mimic 18.3

Post by mikeflan »

file sort order are scrambled
Can you supply a sort order for each system? Or at least the perceived incorrect sort order.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Webtest wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:34 pm
Is there any easy way to change the entire theme of LM20.2 Mate 64 to very closely mimic LM18.3 Mate 64?
If I remember correctly the main difference in appearance is the icon theme change.
To change it back to the mint-x icons do
Menu > Appearance
Click "Customize", click the icons tab, then choose any of Mint-X options.

I guess if you want you can also use the Mint 18 wall paper, ha, I do.
Known simply as linuxmint.jpg.
cropped screenshot.
ksnip211204-1838.jpg
It's still included in Mint 20 (and 20.1)
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Blessings mikeflan !
Here is a screen dump of the top portion of the default sort of the LM18.3 Caja (v 1.18.5) file browser window. Notice the very distinctive "script" icons as compared to the text file icons.
LM18p3-dump.png
Here is a screen dump of the top portion of the default sort of the LM20.2 Caja (v 1.24.0) file browser window. Notice that there is hardly any differentiation between a "script" and a "text" icon.
LM20p2-dump.png
I am definitely "senior" and have a minor difficulty reading text from the screen, and I have special "computer glasses" to help. I am mostly an "appliance user" and I have been using LM18 so long that I don't have to read the file name any more - I can just pick out the icon I want by position. That is why the radical changes in LM20 are so disturbing. If you notice, I use file prefixes ("0_ etc.") to force a sort order for the files I want to appear at the top of the list.

The files are sorted in a substantially different order in the 2 systems as shown in the Caja windows. Of no particular importance, the "ls" directory listings are different from each other for the 2 distros, but also, each Caja window sort is slightly different from the same-system default "ls" sort. I have included the full directory for the above windows. It was generated using "ls -l --group-directories-first" in the LM18.3 system.
LM18p3-ls.txt
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
NOTE to rickNS :
What is/are the "GUI theme(s)" used in LM18.3 and LM20.2? They are obviously VERY different. How might I change them from the command line (I run a LOCKED LiveMedia system and need to put it in a script)? The wallpaper on the desk top is totally inconsequential, and I know how to change that if I wanted to.

Thank you for your post, and my sincere appreciation for any and all comments, suggestions, and assistance.
Art in Carlisle, PA USA

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Webtest wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:57 pm
What is/are the "GUI theme(s)" used in LM18.3 and LM20.2? They are obviously VERY different.
Actually NOT VERY different. With the exception of two themes, (Adwaita, and High Contrast) from Mint 18 missing in Mint 20, all the rest are the same.

I still have a Mint 18 disk, so I booted it, here's screen shot of the themes.
ssmint18themes.png
(I run a LOCKED LiveMedia system
Your biggest (or one of) bug seems to be that the script icons are similar to plain text file icons, That is because your running "live", if you actually installed Mint 20 you would have the "normal" terminal looking icon for script files.
Mint 20 MATE.
ksnip211205-153234.png
ksnip211205-153234.png (33.9 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I must say I like the 18.3 sort order better than the 20.2 sort order.
Maybe this will be interesting reading for you:
viewtopic.php?p=2052875#p2052875
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Blessings & THANK YOU mikeflan!
Thanks to xenopeek as well. His post is MOST EXCELLENT! There is NO LC_COLLATE in the 20.2 Mate /etc/default/locale file - I'll have to switch to 18.2 to see what it has.

Art in Carlisle, PA USA

Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Bad news (at least for me) ...
Each single line in /etc/default/locale is different for the 2 systems, but ... A REBOOT is required once the file is edited, which is no help for a LiveMedia system. However, changes can be implemented in the User configuration.

Code: Select all

# /etc/default/locale
# LM 18.3 Mate 64:
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
# LM 20.2 Mate 64:
LANG=C.UTF-8
Here are some good links for this interesting topic:
www.tecmint.com/set-system-locales-in-linux/
help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale
www.tutorialspoint.com/how-to-change-or-set-system-locales-in-linux

Art in Carlisle, PA USA

Return to “Beginner Questions”