Plex Media Server and external USB drives

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sacredsin
Level 1
Level 1

Plex Media Server and external USB drives

Post by sacredsin »

Hi there.

I am newbie Linux user. I am trying to use Plex with a NTFS formatted external USB drive. I have created a mount point in /home/sacredsin/Mount and then I am mounting the external there as follows:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdd1 /home/sacredsin/Mount

this works and I can browse the drive from Plex web interface. However when I try to play files it fails, and my added library vanishes. From what I have read this is due to root owning the folder. So I have tried changing the permissions to me as owner like below:
sudo chown -R sacredsin:sacredsin /home/sacredsin/Mount

But it just stays on permissions set to "root"

Any help would be appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sacredsin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Plex Media Server and external USB drives

Post by sacredsin »

Nevermind, I fixed it myself. Seems to not trust articles/advice on the Plex forum.

Return to “Beginner Questions”