Lutris limit fps (or anywhere else)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doge-stonks
Level 1
Level 1

Lutris limit fps (or anywhere else)

Post by doge-stonks »

Hello,
I'm using Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, computer is a laptop with GTX 1650. When I run my game through Lutris, it runs uncapped (130-140 fps and up), even if I set max framerate 60 in game settings. How can I limit game fps so that my gpu wouldn't do extra work :?:
Display refresh rate is set to 60Hz in settings.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Lutris limit fps (or anywhere else)

Post by Hoser Rob »

I gotta say, this is the first time I've ever seen anyo ne in this forum who thinks their game fps to too high, usually it's the opposite.

No expert in nvidia but I know you'll need to post better info. Copy/paste the text output of inxi -Fxxxrz run in the terminal.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
doge-stonks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doge-stonks »

I found a workaround that suits me. I use multi monitor setup and I just set my external monitor as primary. If I run games on external monitor, games let me limit framerate in settings (If I used laptop screen as primary, fps limitation is ignored).

Why do I do that? I do that so my laptop wouldn't be at 90 degrees all the time of course. This combined with turboboost limitation from 4.5GHz to 3.5GHz keeps my laptop at 70 degrees on heavy load.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

doge-stonks wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:09 pm I found a workaround that suits me. I use multi monitor setup and I just set my external monitor as primary. If I run games on external monitor, games let me limit framerate in settings (If I used laptop screen as primary, fps limitation is ignored).

Why do I do that? I do that so my laptop wouldn't be at 90 degrees all the time of course. This combined with turboboost limitation from 4.5GHz to 3.5GHz keeps my laptop at 70 degrees on heavy load.
Throttling happens for other reasons, not only Tcase temperature, VRM related throttle is also a thing
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

You can also try libstrangle: https://gitlab.com/torkel104/libstrangle

And for games that use DXVK, you can limit the framerate: DXVK_FRAME_RATE=60

Return to “Beginner Questions”