Missing Icon in Linux Mint 20.2 SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stormdrainer
Level 2
Level 2

Missing Icon in Linux Mint 20.2 SOLVED

Post by Stormdrainer »

I am trying ti install my printer, an HP OfficeJet 5230, but I do not have the printer icon I need to use for the printer to be recognised. Is there a way to get the printer icon back in the application settings?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DJ55
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Missing Icon in Linux Mint 20.2

Post by DJ55 »

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking... Assuming you're using the Cinnamon desktop, if you click the menu button (left side of the panel) and type "printers" (without the quotes) you should see the Printers applet which enables installation and configuration of printers. It's also accessible from /usr/share/applications. You should get an icon in the tray (right side of the panel) once you have an active printer.

Also, downloading and installing HP's Linux drivers worked well for my Laserjet; their website says your printer is also supported. See https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... -printing/. As I recall, LM has an older version of HP's driver set and I wanted to go with the latest version.
-Dave
LM 21.1 Cinnamon on Dell XPS-15 9570

Return to “Beginner Questions”