Lenovo install file?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JanErik
Level 2
Level 2

Lenovo install file?

Post by JanErik »

I found this in the Internet:
Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 drivers for Linux
Free drivers for Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 for Linux. Found 1 file.
https://driverscollection.com/?H=IdeaPa ... o&SS=Linux

I do not know what it is for. I could install it, but if I then have some problems with function or starting Linux, what then?
Can I install it again? And if Linux does not start?

It is Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 ThinkVantage Access Connections driver v.1.00 for Linux
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Lenovo install file?

Post by Moem »

Is there any reason why you think you may benefit from extra or different drivers? If not, isn't this a solution in search of a problem?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Agreed, there's an old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

The Thinkvantage Access Connections is mainly a "helper" application to automatically switch network connections & handle logging in when switching frequently between different networks. It saves specific login data & settings for a particular network in case you need some different setup when changing from one network to another.

Unless this describes your usage, it's likely not something you need. You technically don't *need* it even if it is something you do.... it can just help make things easier - - kind of like a password manager helps with logging in to different applications.

I'd skip it unless you really think it would be helpful for you?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

From the OP's link:

Released: 15 Aug 2006

Linux doesn't have backwards compatibility like Windows does, so don't touch it. It'll break the OS.

And as mentioned, if it's working don 't mess with it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JanErik.

In addition to its enormous age, the download file appears to be an installation package in the .rpm format.
.rpm packages are used on Redhat, CentOS, Fedore and Suse Linux e.g., but not on Debian based Linux distributions, like Debian itself, Ubuntu, Linux Mint.
So, better do not download and do not try to install it.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

As soon as it says "driverscollection.com" then I already know this is not even a site I will visit.

If there is maybe something legitimate there and useful then surely it will show up in numerous other search results.

Just a guess, but I bet that most drivers out there(not so much linux) are proprietary packages. For other open source or freeware packages, then those packages will be readily available by their source vendors.

I think if a site is willing to bend or break any rules, then where do they draw the line on doing anything they want?

Return to “Beginner Questions”