Mint not saving settings etc

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bacon
Level 1
Level 1

Mint not saving settings etc

Post by Bacon »

I have Partitioned off about 500 gigs of storage for mint. I create accts install etc but when I reboot nothing gets saved??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint not saving settings etc

Post by decrepit »

sounds like you are still booting from the install media. After install, you should get a message saying to remove installation media.
The usb thumb drive doesn't save any alterations.
Bacon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bacon »

I didn't actually use a thumb drive to install it; I made a fat32 partition and use the universal USB tool too install mint on the partition and then I booted into mint with the gnu grub bootloader.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Is there an 'Install Linux Mint' icon on your desktop? If there is, you have not installed Mint... just created a bootable live medium.
The USB tool does not install Mint, it creates a bootable live medium. So if you want a real installation, that will save your settings etc., run the installer.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bacon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bacon »

Yeah I ran the installer but what is the next step I should take? I still have the “Install Linux mint,” and I’ve installed it along side windows boot loader. So I’m confused on how to boot into the actually installed system.
Bacon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bacon »

Because the installer says it’s installed next to windows and says it’s installed and gives me options to reinstall I will provide a screenshot when I get home in a couple of hours.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That would be good, yes. It seems you now have both the live and the installed versions on your machine.

What was the purpose of creating the bootable medium on the harddisk? Most people put it on something easily removable like a DVD or USBstick, since you only need it during installation... and then keep it around as a rescue tool.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bacon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bacon »

Mainly because I did do it high at like 4am, Very unformal but it happened lmao. I hate myself for it now looking back but yeah.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, it's easy enough to correct... make a decent install medium, do a normal installation, and off you go. After all you don't have anything invested yet.

Bacon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bacon »

Is there anyway I could keep the progress I've already made or?

Return to “Beginner Questions”