[SOLVED] Configuring Menu + lost scanner default app

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inazio
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Configuring Menu + lost scanner default app

Post by inazio »

Hi,
While configuring the menu I deleted what I thought was a link to the scanner, as I didnt need it there. Now it seems the app is gone. Is this how this menu works? Itś the apps themselves??
I would also appretiate if someone could tell me how to install back the default scanner app, which was simple but prefect for my needs.
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Configuring Menu + lost scanner default app

Post by karlchen »

Hello, inazio.

Did you only remove the menu item? Or did you right-click on the scanner menu item and select "De-install" from the context menu?

Only if you right-clicked and selected "De-install", then the scanner application would have been uninstalled.

In case you only removed the menu item, even this menu item is not really gone. It has only been hidden from your view.
So you should be able to unhide it again with the help of the Linux Mint menu editor.
You would have to locate the scanner application item. The column "Visible" would be not ticked, i.e. not selected. You re-enable the column "Visible" and the application should be displayed again in your application menu.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
inazio
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Configuring Menu + lost scanner default app

Post by inazio »

Oh, thanks Karl,
I deleted the entry from the menu editor, but then I couldnt see the scanner anymore anywhere. I went again to the menu editor and then added an element pointing to /bin/simple-scan hoping that was the .exe and its back to normal :D
Thanks a lot! Bit lost here. Just moving from windows after continous provblems with backups and file systems in NFT, andquite impressed with the customization level and the flexibility of linux!

Return to “Beginner Questions”