RGB lighting on a MSI MAG Tomahawk X570 board

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wilfy
Level 1
Level 1

RGB lighting on a MSI MAG Tomahawk X570 board

Post by Wilfy »

I have just put together a system based on a MSI MAG Tomahawk X570 board. As it seems with a lot of users I do not seem to have any control over RGB. It seems I need the apparently poor MSI software which is windows only. This is not my cup of tea to say the least. I don't suppose it would work but I thought about installing windows in Virtualbox as a VM and then install the MSI software to that. The question is would the VM have the ability to control the hardware, I am not sure about that probably not. I will give it a try at some point just to see. If it did work I could set some RGB settings I like and then hit the delete button on the Windows VM in the hope that the settings persisted. Personally I wish the RGB was controllable from the BIOS, one day perhaps. I can confirm the situation is the same with the Gigabyte Aorus elite X570 board. With that one I got a constant orange glow which was ok to me, It just became an obvious sign that the pc was on. I must say at 61 years old having my pc imitate a Christmas tree with fairy lights on it seems rather silly and unnecessary to me. Bah Humbug!I would much rather have a post error code display on the motherboard than the RGB headers. However the child in me might get a minute or twos amusement playing with the colours.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: RGB lighting on a MSI MAG Tomahawk X570 board

Post by gittiest personITW »

Just been chasing you around topics!

Welcome to the forums.

On an MSI X470 mobo - using Windows in VBox, VMWare and KVM - none of them were able to control those damned lights.
Wilfy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wilfy »

I have installed OpenRGB and it does seem to work. It does control the RGB on my Corsair mouse and the tower fans. I can get a constant single colour which can be adjusted and be made to fade out and return on the tower . Some flashing effects are available though they are not to my taste. I would recommend giving this program a try. I understand this is quite a new program and is still being developed, however the developers have done a good job so far. I appreciate there time and effort they have put in.
Qiorgini
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Qiorgini »

You don't have to connect the rgb backlight to the motherboard, you can connect it to the power supply. This method is considered the safest and most convenient to implement. Since a PSU with a good power reserve is installed on computers, you should not be afraid that the LED strip will overload the power supply. This is a little more difficult than connecting to the motherboard, but as for me, this option is more versatile. In case you can't connect the rgb backlight in either of these two ways, buy smart light bulbs and install them somewhere near the PC. Choose, for example, blue or purple color, and the effect will be just as good.

Return to “Beginner Questions”