Open a txt file with Doubleklickto View

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HukUgundi
Level 1
Level 1

Open a txt file with Doubleklickto View

Post by HukUgundi »

Hello together,

I am already using Linux Mint since many years - just work and Browsing but it is Wonderful !

I often use .txt files from Windows to save any notes - when I want to open them to add something Linux always ask me, if I want to execute this txt files - I have the choice to just view it - and thats what I usually wants.

How can I get rid of this dialogue and open (view) the txt file directly. - I know (think) thats really a beginner question, but I am really pleased for your help
Thanks !
Yours Huk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Open a txt file with Doubleklickto View

Post by spamegg »

Not sure which desktop environment you are using. I'm on Cinnamon, and I go to Nemo (the file manager) and Edit/Preferences/Behavior:
nemo.png
There you can select "View executable text files when they are opened", that should do it.
HukUgundi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HukUgundi »

Man, this is exact the thing I am looking for - Thanks a lot!!!
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Awesome, mark your topic as [SOLVED], thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”