"How to" - Desktop Launcher for a site (URL) in Edge Browser

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djevanstn
Level 1
Level 1

"How to" - Desktop Launcher for a site (URL) in Edge Browser

Post by djevanstn »

(SOLVED) I'm running LM20.2

I've been attempting to create a desktop launcher for a specific URL and I'd like to use EDGE Browser

Try as I might, everything I've tried to use as an "executable," fails.

It's not that I don't know how, I just can find anything that works. FIREFOX/Chrome etc. all work fine.

So, I guess my bottom line question is, "How do I start the MS EDGE BROWSER from the command line in LM?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: "How to" - Desktop Launcher for a site (URL) in EDGE BROWSER

Post by Hoser Rob »

You'd need to know the actual package name to run it from CLI. Right click a launcher for Edge from the panel or favorites or whatever, then hit Properties. The actual program name should be there.

Or, open Synaptic Package Manager. Bring up the search. Enter "edge". There should be a list that comes up, and the browser will be starred if it's installed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Code: Select all

microsoft-edge-stable https://forums.linuxmint.com
AS an example, sub any URL you like.

PERSONAL OPINION; What a POS browser, ha, had to increase the ram of my cinnamon virtual machine to get it to run, without freezing. Luckly as soon as I kill the machine edge will be gone too.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
djevanstn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djevanstn »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:30 am You'd need to know the actual package name to run it from CLI. Right click a launcher for Edge from the panel or favorites or whatever, then hit Properties. The actual program name should be there.

Or, open Synaptic Package Manager. Bring up the search. Enter "edge". There should be a list that comes up, and the browser will be starred if it's installed.
I had already tried right clicking "entries" in the panel many times before. It (the actual properties tab) is "never" there in any of my many installations and version of LMx. I typically do a search for the "executable" but in this case it's simply not found.

I agree, I need to know the actual package name. That's my question. Since you have alluded to "it," I'll assume for the moment you might know how to add the properties field to my menu items? That would be awesome! That would solve one of my few (very few) "complaints" about Linux. I need the connection between the icon in my menus and the actual location of what has been started?
Attachments
example.png
example.png (48.62 KiB) Viewed 618 times
djevanstn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "How to" - Desktop Launcher for a site (URL) in Edge Browser

Post by djevanstn »

(SOLVED)

Sorry to have bothered the group. Just figured it out...

- R click MENU icon
- Configure
- MENU
- open MENU EDITOR
- highlight Internet
- highlight EDGE
- click on properties

then go back to the desktop launcher and enter that path, then the %U <https://URL >

Again, sorry, I didn't look hard enough first...
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

djevanstn wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am Just figured it out...

and enter that path, then the %U <https://URL >
You figured it out, I posted an hour ago.
And you don't need the whole path, or the %U. microsoft-edge-stable <URL> will do.

Another way to get that info in Cinnamon is go /usr/share/applications and right click on the application.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Interesting, I wonder if the Mint app "Web Apps" can do this? It's installed on my PC but I never used it:
webapps.png
It gives me a choice of the two browsers I have installed (Firefox and Chrome), so I assume if Edge was installed, it would show up in the drop down menu.
djevanstn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djevanstn »

rickNS . . .

1st let me thank you for taking the time to reply.

And lastly, for the additional information, that, also worked to supply the information I was looking for.

In spite of my question, I really am moving forward quickly in my LINUX "studies."

For others that my be new'ish, to "right click" for the properties info, you have to be in a GUI. I immediately went the command line and "LS." I had one of those "duh" moments after I right clicked the text... (but I disgress...) :oops: :?
djevanstn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djevanstn »

I'm going to mark this solved as I now have several (even other) solutions.

One note that I wanted to add for anyone for others that want to create specific URL desktop shortcuts, (at least in EDGE in Linux Mint 20.3) just go to the page you want on your desktop, simply highlight the URL, then click and hold on it, then drag it to the desktop.

It doesn't look the same as when one looks in "properties" as when it's created with the DESKTOP LAUNCHER application, but that also works. That's as simple (and quick) as it can get...

Return to “Beginner Questions”