HTTP Addresses in Upload Fields

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

HTTP Addresses in Upload Fields

Post by EchoLynx »

I fiddle with quite a few websites in my free time, and have discovered that, in Windows, you can put an http:// address in the location field in an upload box, and my webserver will get the file directly from the webserver the URL points to. For some reason, this won't work in Linux Mint. Have any idea why? I know you can just download the file and upload it again, but that takes considerably longer on my internet connection.

-Ian
Saturday August 9th, 2008: Acquired Technician-class Amateur Radio License. Assigned call KB3ROH.
February (?) 2010: Acquired General-class Amateur Radio License.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: HTTP Addresses in Upload Fields

Post by Husse »

Could you explain a bit more
I never managed to do something like that when I had my commercial website on IIS and Windows in the office....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HTTP Addresses in Upload Fields

Post by EchoLynx »

Well, when I want to do it I will log into cPanel, open the File Manager, select upload, then paste the URL of the file I want uploaded into the field. After I hit okay, it downloads the file from that location, usually in seconds. For some reason, it seems that Mint's "Browse..." menu doesn't allow http addresses, and I think that's why it's not working.

Sorry, I don't know how to be more clear...

.. oh and I'm on Taproot Hosting.

-Ian
Saturday August 9th, 2008: Acquired Technician-class Amateur Radio License. Assigned call KB3ROH.
February (?) 2010: Acquired General-class Amateur Radio License.

Return to “Newbie Questions”