My computer died !

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: My computer died !

Post by RollyShed »

Vilsen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:10 am I was a little curious: Given that you had 50 years of experience:
IBM's first PC was introduced on 12 August 1981; Apple -77. 1991

So you must have reasonably worked with mainframes then?
A couple of PDP-8s to keep going as well as a Data General of the same size. We doubled the memory on that, added another 16KB and bolted it to the wall with a cable going to the cabinet.
The PDP-8 was first introduced in 1965.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-8

"Data General was one of the first minicomputer firms of the late 1960s. Their first product, 1969's Data General Nova, was a 16-bit minicomputer intended to both outperform and cost less than the equivalent from DEC, the 12-bit PDP-8."

The PDP-8s were on a Mass Spectrometer and an Xray Diffractometer and the Data General on an ESR.
To get a PDP-8 going you put in near a dozen binary instructions on the front panel switches and then it could read paper tape. Then another tape with the specific programme for that job.

The switches, 3 to a number i.e. a 7 would be all 3 switches ON. a 1 would be one switch ON. As each number was made up of 4 digits that meant 12 switches.
Vilsen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vilsen »

This looks interesting
Jan 15 11:55:21 mint kernel: [0.061288] Kernel command line:
BOOT_IMAGE = / casper / vmlinuz file = / cdrom / preseed / linuxmint.seed boot
= casper iso-scan / filename = noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll nomodeset -

and shortly after
Jan 15 11:55:21 mint kernel: [0.061422] You have booted with nomodeset.

This means your GPU drivers are DISABLED

So maybe the thumb-boot runs without dedicated video driver
but with ancient bios (or generic vga) calls?

May be that no driver is available for linux and usb-c video.

So the question is: Is it IMPOSSIBLE to get a working installation
of Linux Mint MATE 20.3 to a
laptop that is modern with USB-C outputs = ASUS ZENBOOK UX490U.
and where the image / video to the EXTERNAL screen is shot off
from the PROKORD adapter with 4k output for that external monitor
via the only outputs on the laptop = USB-C?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note: if you would prefer to continue in your new thread, I will lock this one. No need to have two open threads on the exact same topic.
The new thread is here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”