Screen Freeze when I open any Browser

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Screen Freeze when I open any Browser

Post by Oskar1224 »

As a short history, I never worked in the desktop I have Cinnamon 20.1 since last May and earlier this week I decided to get it going. All looked good and I had quite a few updates which I did all.

Then I noticed when I click Firefox the screen freezes and I had to reboot, nothing worked on the screen. Did it a few times with the same results and then I noticed a new 65MB Firefox update which I did but after reboot the problem with Firefox was the same.

After suggestion from another member here I installed Brave browser and the problem was the same. So it means it’s not the browser which creates the problem but rather something else. Reading on the web they say to clear the history on the browser but with the frozen screen I can’t do that. Besides this problem, the desktop works like new.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nicolas
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Screen Freeze when I open any Browser

Post by Termy »

Does this happen whenever you try to access the Internet? Have you tried other ways to use the Internet? Perhaps try ping -c 10 8.8.8.8 to see if you can at least ping Google's public DNS. Are you using WiFi or Ethernet? Please post your system specifications by pasting in the output of inxi -Fxxxrz between [code][/code] tags.
Last edited by Termy on Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If it's a system problem, the experts will need more info on your system. Open a terminal window, full screened, copy and paste this inxi -Fxz in, then press enter. Copy the results back here, in code tags for easier reading. The code tag button is the one that looks like this: </>.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

The problem only happens when I try to open Internet with a browser. Sorry I don’t know how to try “ping –c 10.8.8.8.8” but if you tell me how to do it I will be glad to provide the info. I’m only using WiFi.

The desktop has no access to Internet so I read this thread in my laptop and I open the desktop to get the system info but I had to snip the info in 2 steps which I copy to my USB and provide here the 2 pictures. Hope is readable. I also attach another system info in case its more useful.

Had to decrease the files size because system said they are too big, perhaps you can enlarge?

Many thanks
Attachments
NF-Screenshot from 2022-01-15 22-51-09.jpg
NF1-Screenshot from 2022-01-15 22-50-13.jpg
NF2-My System INFO Jan_15_2022.txt
(3.66 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Nicolas
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Oskar1224 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:23 am Sorry I don’t know how to try “ping –c 10.8.8.8.8” but if you tell me how to do it I will be glad to provide the info.
You replaced a space with a period, so I'm guessing you got an error, but it's okay, because I don't think that command will help, since you've said it only happens with browsers, suggesting to us that you have Internet working, just not with browsers. Pinging Google's public DNS was supposed to provide a means to confirm you have an Internet connection other than with a browser.
Oskar1224 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:23 am Had to decrease the files size because system said they are too big, perhaps you can enlarge? Many thanks
I'm guessing you uploaded it directly to Linux Mint's server(s), in which case, that's a restriction set by them, presumably to avoid sucking up all their space and bandwidth. You could use an image sharing website to share stuff, but the images you posted look fine (when clicked) to me. I tend to upload them to Linux Mint's server(s), but have the image size automatically reduced both in quality and resolution, so as to reduce its file size. They're also super picky about filenames, for some reason, so I have to change it to something simple. :roll:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:06 pm Copy the results back here, in code tags for easier reading. The code tag button is the one that looks like this: </>.
Keyword "copy," not insert image.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

The nouveau graphics driver can work quite well on many systems. But have you tried any other graphics drivers? Please start Driver Manager and try one of the Nvidia drivers, like perhaps 390 or 460 if they are available.

Return to “Beginner Questions”