How to stop typing from wiping out pages and causing screens to switch or random unused screens to pop up?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnlvs2run
Level 2
Level 2

How to stop typing from wiping out pages and causing screens to switch or random unused screens to pop up?

Post by johnlvs2run »

Just now I had typed a long message in a forum and while typing, everything disappeared.
This has been happening constantly since updating to LM 19.3 and is getting more and more annoying.

The problem: I am only clicking the typing keys, nothing else, yet quite often whatever I'm typing
all of a sudden completely disappears, with or without several other screens popping up concurrently.
I have checked keyboard shortcuts in settings, and see nothing in there that would be causing this issue.

However, I don't use any shortcuts and am not familiar with them so maybe I'm missing a few things.
Can I just turn off all the keyboard shortcuts, and if so, will that get rid of these issues?
Or is something else causing the problem?
I'm a pretty good long time typist, so it isn't my typing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM 20.2 / Biostar a870u3 / Amd Athlon II x2 / 8gb G.Skill DDR3 / 250gb Adata ssd / Earthwatts 80+ EA-380 /
plus not working is Amd Athlon 3000g / Asus Prime B450M mb / 2x8gb ddr4 3200 and I haven't found the reason.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to stop typing from wiping out pages and causing screens to switch or random unused screens to pop up?

Post by mikeflan »

It is probably something else causing the problem. When you say everything disappeared do you mean the application you are typing in disappears, or literally everything including desktop icons?

What application are you typing in?
johnlvs2run
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to stop typing from wiping out pages and causing screens to switch or random unused screens to pop up?

Post by johnlvs2run »

mikeflan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:39 pm It is probably something else causing the problem. When you say everything disappeared do you mean the application you are typing in disappears, or literally everything including desktop icons? What application are you typing in?
This keeps happening even after turning off and removing all the shortcuts. I mostly use Firefox, but this also happens when using the file manager. It is my typing that disappears, and I don't know why this is happening.

When typing a long forum post, for example here or in email, all of a sudden with a couple of keystrokes close together my entire message completely disappears and is lost, two or three other random screens pop up, the view switches to an entirely different FF screen, or sometimes from FF to a random screen in the file manager.
LM 20.2 / Biostar a870u3 / Amd Athlon II x2 / 8gb G.Skill DDR3 / 250gb Adata ssd / Earthwatts 80+ EA-380 /
plus not working is Amd Athlon 3000g / Asus Prime B450M mb / 2x8gb ddr4 3200 and I haven't found the reason.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Hmmm. Ctrl-a would be a bad combination that could do this. It's possible, but unlikely, you have a key misconfigured to a ctrl character, or something like that. But I would expect that to show up pretty quickly. i would try to find an application (maybe Libre Write) where you can experiment. Type every character and make sure it works as intended.

Return to “Beginner Questions”