Multiboot from 2 SSDs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
imusorka
Level 2
Level 2

Multiboot from 2 SSDs

Post by imusorka »

I currently multiboot (LM/Windows) from SSD1 and will add SSD2 to the second slot soon. I'd like to have a new instance of LM installed on SSD2 and keep Windows on SSD1 wiping the current instance of LM from SSD1 and restoring the Windows partition to 100%. Is this possible? What would be the correct steps in order to then still have a GRUB menu with LM as the default (first) choice as I have now?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Multiboot from 2 SSDs

Post by AndyMH »

Yes, but...

If you are booting UEFI the installer will put grub in the first EFI partition it finds (SSD1), if you are happy with this, okay. If not and you want SSD2 to boot independently of SSD1 then you will need to either:
  • remove SSD1 when you install mint to SSD2.
  • disable the ESP and boot flags on the EFI partition on SSD1 before installing mint to SSD2, re-enable them after install.
The installer should put the new mint at the top of your BIOS boot list, if not go into BIOS and change the order. Boot into the new mint and do a sudo update-grub if you don't get a grub menu giving you the choice of mint or win.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
imusorka
Level 2
Level 2

Post by imusorka »

GRUB on SSD1 is fine as long as I can reclaim the space allocated to the current instance of Mint. How do I make Windows take up 100% of SSD1?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Once you have installed mint on SSD2, I would use gparted to delete the linux partition(s) on SDD1 and then use win's disk management tools to extend your C: partition.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
imusorka
Level 2
Level 2

Post by imusorka »

I take it that gparted must be used while booted into Mint on SSD2, right?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Yes, you can't change your / partition while booting normally (you can't unmount it) which is what you would get if booting mint off SSD1. gparted is not installed by default, you can find it in software manager.
imusorka
Level 2
Level 2

Post by imusorka »

Thanks Andy. I'll give that a go and mark the thread as solved when done.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Gparted is in the LM live boot you use to install Linux and can be used to layout multiple partitions on the new disk. For notebooks, I do not bother. For desktops with several disks, I start with the home directory separate. Gparted from live boot can resize the partitions on an installed Linux system as none of the partitions are mounted.

Gparted can change NTFS and FAT partitions. Windows fights any changes to Windows partitions. You should make those changes from within Windows.

Return to “Beginner Questions”