[SOLVED] OpenVPN Connection autostart at boot-up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
henry11
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] OpenVPN Connection autostart at boot-up

Post by henry11 »

Hello there,

is it possible to autostart an openvpn connection from startup?
I found this:
viewtopic.php?p=1365375#p1365375
The solution there is (at the end):
...Network Connections window where you will input your credentials for the VPN service. This same window should have a checkbox you can click to connect using your VPN at startup.
This option is in my window not available.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edge 64bit
henry11
Level 1
Level 1

Re: OpenVPN Connection autostart at boot-up

Post by henry11 »

Is it maybe not possible anymore to get this openvpn connection autostarted?
Or is this question a bit deprecated?

Anyway, it's only a single 'click' and it is started.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi henry11,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It would also help to have more information on your VPN provider, etc... Who is your VPN provider? If you import openvpn VPN server(s) through the network manager (NM) in the system tray, then you can have your system automatically connect to a specific VPN server when you login, see attached screenshot.

Click the Network Manager Icon, click connections, click your connection to the Internet for your ISP either Wired or Wireless (my screenshot shows wired), then click the gear settings icon, click the General Tab, click the "Automatically connect to VPN checkbox and select which VPN server to connect with, click save. Next time you logout or restart (reboot) your computer, it should automatically connect to that VPN server.

Hope this helps ...
How to setup automatically connecting to an openVPN VPN server through the Network Manager.
How to setup automatically connecting to an openVPN VPN server through the Network Manager.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
henry11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by henry11 »

Hi phd21,

found it now under Network Manager --> Connections --> Wired --> General Tab as you described it. Works just fine.

Thanks for your help, phd21
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

Thats true and I'm very happy with both 8)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi henry11,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Beginner Questions”