How to find negotiated link speed?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FreeBSD
Level 1
Level 1

How to find negotiated link speed?

Post by FreeBSD »

I have my Ethernet set for Automatic link negotiation. How can I see what was negotiated? How can I check the current link speed?
I ran a test:
time cp {3.5GB file} /dev/null
and it appears it transferred at a rate of 72.5 MB/s.
I believe 1GB ethernet can reach 125 MB/s.
Perhaps the NAS the file is on can't saturate the Gigabit ethernet?
I wish Mint would display a dialog stating the transfer rate when a operation is completed, not just during the operation, which changes anyway over the duration of the operation, and disappears when the operation is complete.
By my calculation, I'm getting a little better than 50% network speed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DJ55
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to find negotiated link speed?

Post by DJ55 »

Open ethtool in Terminal and use it to check the speed on the NIC, as in ethtool eth0, where eth0 is the kernel name for the NIC. You should be able to get the NIC name from System Info. ethtool -h will also show you all of its various options.

You can also try opening LM's Network app and click on the little gear icon shown for the network you're connected to. It will show details of your connection and includes a stated link speed. That might be your negotiated max rate, I'm not sure.
-Dave
LM 21.1 Cinnamon on Dell XPS-15 9570
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to find negotiated link speed?

Post by djph »

FreeBSD wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm I have my Ethernet set for Automatic link negotiation. How can I see what was negotiated? How can I check the current link speed?
IIRC, ip link will show this. Granted, it's just going to show whether you've negotiated 10, 100, or 1000 mbit/sec

FreeBSD wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm and it appears it transferred at a rate of 72.5 MB/s.
I believe 1GB ethernet can reach 125 MB/s.
It can't. In reality, you've got 10-15% overhead imposed by the ethernet protocol itself -- for the sake of discussion, assume that a sustained 110 MB/sec is about the best you can get (and that's probably in lab conditions)

[
FreeBSD wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm Perhaps the NAS the file is on can't saturate the Gigabit ethernet?
I wish Mint would display a dialog stating the transfer rate when a operation is completed, not just during the operation, which changes anyway over the duration of the operation, and disappears when the operation is complete.
By my calculation, I'm getting a little better than 50% network speed.
You're getting ~70% (give or take) of the absolute ideal.
Your NAS is certainly a bottleneck (assuming it's one of those consumer models), as is any consumer-grade network kit (netgear,dlink,etc), available RAM in your machine, etc.

Return to “Beginner Questions”