Mint install on Dell M6500? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Inkblotr
Level 1
Level 1

Mint install on Dell M6500? [SOLVED]

Post by Inkblotr »

I'm going to add my voice to this thread . I too have a Dell M6500 and am trying to install Mint xfce 20.3 on it. I'm no way a Linux expert but I have been using Ubuntu Budgie as my preferred OS for a few years - which works fine on my M6500. I am not trying to dual boot with Budgie, trying to do a fresh install of Mint xfce 20.3.

My M6500 has the nVidia NB10E-GLM video chipset - I believe this is causing the problem.

I can only boot a USB key with Mint xfce 20.3 if I select "Start in compatibility mode". If I select "Start Linux Mint" it doesn't boot
After starting in compatibility mode and selecting "install", the installation appears to complete successfully. After pulling the USB key when prompted and rebooting the system hangs at a messed up text mode screen that I am unable to read. It never loads a graphical desktop (waited 20 minutes, I'm patient).

I have not read the Mint installation guide - I'll admit. That's where I'm headed now after posting this message.

If there's a quick fix someone knows about, I would appreciate a reply.
Thank you in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Inkblotr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint install on Dell M6500? [SOLVED]

Post by Inkblotr »

Okay, this has been a good learning experience for the last few hours.

Bottom line, I got Xfce 20.3 running fine on my Dell Precision M6500. The video chipset wasn't the problem. The laptop was docked to a Dell Port Replicator during the install. Nothing I tried would get it to boot successfully. When I un-docked the laptop and booted it, Xfce booted cleanly into the desktop. The Welcome/First Steps/Driver Manager proved what I suspected, the nvidia nouveau open source driver was loading. The Driver Manager recommended I install the nvidia-340 proprietary driver. I did and rebooted. Then powered off and docked the laptop and booted it. Worked fine!

Pressure test: Hot un-docking - does it work? Yes! Then tried hot docking - didn't work well. The dock has an external monitor attached. The desktop screen duplicated at the desktop resolution on the second monitor (which is full HD resolution - laptop screen is 1440x900).

I can live and work with this. I rarely hot dock, thankfully.

Hopefully, my notes will help someone else.

Odd about one thing - using Ubuntu (from version 16.04 forward) and Ubuntu Budgie (from version 18.04 forward) has never shown me this problem.

This laptop will stay with Mint Xfce 20.3 for a while. I like what I see.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Probably due to Xfce.

Cinnamon would provide a more user-friendly experience more than likely as long as you have 4 GB RAM.

You may want to consider switching if other issues crop up.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Inkblotr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Inkblotr »

Thank you for the comment. I tried Cinnamon and Mate versions of Mint while laptop was docked (before discovering the situation with being docked) and they exhibited the same symptoms. I like Xfce because of how light weight it is.

Return to “Beginner Questions”