[SOLVED] Linux Mint 20.3 una time is frozen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markz
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 20.3 una time is frozen

Post by markz »

The version I am using is
cat /etc/issue
Linux Mint 20.3 Una \n \l

The problem I have now is the time is frozen on the task bar bottom right.

I had changed the format to Mon Jan 17 2022 with the time being 11 01 PM I did that through the Syntax link.

Click on the date/time bottom right doesnt help much but better is to type in the bottom left LM - Date & Time - I have America, MST city listed is Edmonton for MST, its on network time which in the beginning was off by one hour so I had then set that to off to manually set time which it says its 11:20 which is right but the tray on the bottom right says its 11 01. I double checked it and it says 11:29 which is right but again the task bar time still says 11 01PM. Date & Time says 11 32PM but task bar 11 01pm

Very strange.

I did reboot, its kind of a bummer as I look at the time on the bottom right on the task bar a lot.

Its a clean reinstall which I chose to wipe out everything prior. Installed Zoom, and backgammon.

Nothing else is frozen, everything works fine.

I did change login on computer sleep or monitor sleep that was pretty easy to find.

Searches dont bring much up, a bunch of time loop questions were asked.
Terms like - Linux Mint task bar time frozen - comes up empty handed.

Oh sorry its called panel not task bar, its what ever is on the very bottom. Need to get my linux mojo and lingo correct. Its pretty easy to find most things but this problem I am coming up empty handed.

Thanks for reading.

edit
I right clicked on date and time on bottom right and clicked on configure
I took off custom format and its working fine.
When I switch custom date and time back on in revers back to Mon Jan 17 2022 11 01PM
Strange indeed
custom format code is %a %b %e %Y %l %m %p

The date and time format is Monday January 17, 11:48 PM and I see the minutes changing.

the 11 01PM not changing is because the last code is for the number of the month not the minutes.
That is because that number of the month code is next to the hour, number of the month is to the right and right next to the hour.
The new code is now %a %b %e %l %M %p and its working fine so Mon Jan 17 11 56 PM
I would ideally like the time to be 11:56 PM but hey what can I do just play around with it some more I guess.

Edit again
I put in the : and even threw in a line spacing
%a %b %e %Y %n %l:%M%p
Tue Jan 18 2022
12:10AM
I could even space it out to 12 : 10 AM can do whatever I want which is cool.
That is what I wanted. I just had to click on the third tab to get all the codes.

Small steps I know
Noobie that I am

Thanks again for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 20.3 una time is frozen

Post by SMG »

markz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:35 amEdit again
I put in the : and even threw in a line spacing
%a %b %e %Y %n %l:%M%p
Tue Jan 18 2022
12:10AM
I could even space it out to 12 : 10 AM can do whatever I want which is cool.
That is what I wanted. I just had to click on the third tab to get all the codes.
Everyone was a newbie at some point. :) If you consider your issue resolved, please go to your first post in this topic (which is your only post at the present time), click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”