Slow download when updating

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tyrannocaster
Level 2
Level 2

Slow download when updating

Post by Tyrannocaster »

The last few days whenever I have had to update things via the update manager, the download speeds are horrible. Right now I'm updating Firefox and the rate is 47kB/s which means it's going to take ten minutes just for this one item. I usually get much, much, much faster downloads than this. Is there a problem with Mint here, or is it with something else? I was going to see if other system updates went faster today but it doesn't seem to need any right at the moment so I can't check that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tyrannocaster
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Slow download when updating

Post by Tyrannocaster »

Forgot to mention that all other downloads (via regular means) are fine, and SpeedTest shows everything working fine speedwise.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Try switching mirrors. I always use the default Mint mirrors, choosing the one nearest to you (you may not have done this but many do) doesn't actually speed things up.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Tyrannocaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tyrannocaster »

Okay; I will do that with the next update and see what happens. Thank you.
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

download them

Code: Select all

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upstream/f/firefox/firefox_96.0.2+linuxmint1+una_amd64.deb

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upstream/f/firefox/firefox-locale-en_96.0.2+linuxmint1+una_amd64.deb

and install using

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/'firefox_96.0.2 linuxmint1 una_amd64.deb'

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/'firefox-locale-en_96.0.2 linuxmint1 una_amd64.deb'

or just download Firefox which is 63MB and let the Update Manager do the locale
Last edited by Maxwell-J on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrannocaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tyrannocaster »

I want to see if it's just Firefox or if all of the update downloads are slow; that's what I remember happening last time and why I wanted to verify it today, only there aren't any new updates today. Seems like it wouldn't be just Firefox if the file is coming from the repository site.

These are the mirrors I'm using now in the update manager; I believe they are the defaults:
http://packages.linuxmint.com
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
Allard Pruim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Allard Pruim »

Same problem here, for me it's not the first time.
Tyrannocaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tyrannocaster »

That's interesting. I've only been using Mint for a year and a half (I think) and this is the first time I've seen this. Did changing mirrors help?
Tronert123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tronert123 »

Tyrannocaster wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:14 pm That's interesting. I've only been using Mint for a year and a half (I think) and this is the first time I've seen this. Did changing mirrors help?
Seems as if the update changed the mirrors :shock:
Allard Pruim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Allard Pruim »

I just waited patiently, it took about 30 minutes to complete. I don't know if changing the mirrors solves the problem.
Tyrannocaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tyrannocaster »

Today's kernel update just went by so fast I didn't catch the rate. Seems like it's just Firefox that's affected, which strikes me as really peculiar. Maybe they've fixed it by now.
mmm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mmm »

When the firefox update first appears it takes about 25 minutes to download here.
What I do now is to untick the firefox update, and apply all the others.
Then, after a few days, leave the firefox update ticked when updating everything.
I did this today and it downloaded fast to version 96.0.2.
Try it and see.

Return to “Beginner Questions”