flatpak: possible to install two instances of same program?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

flatpak: possible to install two instances of same program?

Post by oldgranola »

Hello,
Is it possible to install two different instances of a program in flatpak? I need to have two separate instances of flatpak kodi for testing and troubleshooting. I wish to compare with output from the official PPA:team-xbmc which isn't working for me in LM20.1 cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: flatpak: possible to install two instances of same program?

Post by acerimusdux »

Yes. By default flatpak uses a system installation, the default location of which is /var/lib/flatpak.

But it is also possible to intall programs on a per user basis. This would likely be the simplest way. You could have a seperate user for testing a new kodi installation, and then for that user you would run:

Code: Select all

flatpak install --user tv.kodi.Kodi
and it would install an instance just for that user (in the default location ~.local/share/flatpak).

It is also possible to have multiple system installations. This requires creating a configuration file in /etc/flatpak/installations.d with names and paths for the alternative installations, and then specifying the alternative installation by name using --installation=NAME when using it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”