Slow boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ICIT2LOL
Level 2
Level 2

Slow boot

Post by ICIT2LOL »

I have asked before and I have been trying to track down why the Linux Mint 20.3 takes so long to boot and I have checked the BIOS and set it to quick boot for the first boot choice but no luck in getting the start up screen to appear before two minutes. It seems that the hard drive (an SSD) takes so long to "connect" are there any settings that will make it boot a little faster??
Any advice really appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits"
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Slow boot

Post by kevin987 »

I think you're supposed to turn fast boot off.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

You need to supply some information in order to get a sensible reply..
The output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
entered into a Terminal & added to your next post between the tag (</>) icons that appear at the top of the reply box.
This will tell everyone how your OS sees your system setup.

sudo systemd-analyze

sudo systemd-analyze blame
Will give information about how long your boot is taking & what is taking the time..
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

ICIT2LOL wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:04 am >>>I have checked the BIOS and set it to quick boot for the first boot choice but no luck in getting the start up screen to appear before two minutes. It seems that the hard drive (an SSD) takes so long to "connect" are there any settings that will make it boot a little faster??
Any advice really appreciated.
fast boot is a windows thing.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that, it stops the system fully turning off, that can play havoc with a linux system.
An SSD should boot very quickly. As said you're inxi report should help tell what's going on.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

On my machines, 20.3 is the same or faster than 20.2. All are clean installs of 20 with updates through 20.1, 20.2, 20.3. One runs a non standard kernel due to Nvidia.

Slow boot can happen with things like mismatches in fstab or broken Nvidia drivers. Did you change anything when upgrading to 20.3?
What is the difference in boot time? 10 seconds? 50?
Are there any new messages in the boot process? dmesg? Syslog?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Some confusion here, there is
  • fast boot - this is in BIOS and turning it off disables some of the POST (power on self test) routines in BIOS.
  • fast start, also called fast boot - this is a windows thing where win gives the appearance of booting quickly by never really shutting down. It should be disabled in a dual boot system (can stop access to some devices in linux and win partitions will be read-only), but it should not have any impact on mint boot times.
As stated a mistmatch between fstab and the partitions can result in slow boot - how long does it take to boot? Linux will keep trying to access a partition for 90 seconds before giving up. The wrong UUID on a swap partition is the usual culprit. When you get the mint splash screen hit Esc it will show you what it is doing and where it is hanging.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
ICIT2LOL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ICIT2LOL »

Hum now I have found in Gparted that my boot is done through EFI although I have a legacy BIOS - would this account for the slow boot. I have also checked the timeout for the boot and it is 0 so what does this mean??
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

ICIT2LOL wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:02 pm Hum now I have found in Gparted that my boot is done through EFI although I have a legacy BIOS - would this account for the slow boot. I have also checked the timeout for the boot and it is 0 so what does this mean??
Just because you have an EFI partition does not mean you are booting UEFI.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=326270&p=1855497&h ... l#p1855497
Check with efibootmgr, this is booting legacy, anything else is UEFI:

andy@T432 ~ $ efibootmgr
EFI variables are not supported on this system.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
ICIT2LOL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ICIT2LOL »

Thanks Andy I just checked and it is booting with legacy. Plus this morning I have yet again reinstalled Linux Mint as I found a nice clean download of the ISO last night and have cleaned and "refurbished" the hard drive to a blank one and everything went as planned and also I changed my local mirror also which seems to have done the desired effect.
My boot time is now down to 1 minute from nearly 2 minutes which doesn't sound long but you know what it is like when you are staring at the monitor waiting for something to happen eh? :D
Oh, I just noticed that you live in the same county as my younger brother too and he says it is pretty bad with the covid right now so take care mate.

Return to “Beginner Questions”