ecryptsf folder taking up 112GB

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
original_af_
Level 1
Level 1

ecryptsf folder taking up 112GB

Post by original_af_ »

This is my first daily-driving linux install and I've never encountered this folder before. What is ecryptsf and what's it for? Is it normal for it to be this size?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: ecryptsf folder taking up 112GB

Post by rene »

You are using home-directory encryption; /home/.ecryptfs/<username> is where in that case your actual and encrypted home directory lives, with your regular home directory /home/<username> a mere unencrypted "view", if you will, on former. I.e., you have about 112G taken by files/directories in your home directory.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

original_af_ wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:07 am This is my first daily-driving linux install and I've never encountered this folder before. What is ecryptsf and what's it for? Is it normal for it to be this size?
Has it been a week or a month since you installed it.

Maybe you have Timeshift snaphots building up.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
original_af_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by original_af_ »

Hi, yes, turns out timeshift backups were building up like crazy, got that sorted out.
original_af_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by original_af_ »

rene wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:24 am You are using home-directory encryption; /home/.ecryptfs/<username> is where in that case your actual and encrypted home directory lives, with your regular home directory /home/<username> a mere unencrypted "view", if you will, on former. I.e., you have about 112G taken by files/directories in your home directory.
Did not know this, thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”