[SOLVED] Don't ask for password after suspension and after locking

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darkmaster006
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Don't ask for password after suspension and after locking

Post by Darkmaster006 »

I have a question, how can I make it so Linux Mint won't ask the password when the computer wakes up? And also, how to make it not ask for password after locking it? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
berndhae
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Don't ask for password after suspension and after locking

Post by berndhae »

Go to "Control Center" then to "Screensaver". In the "Screensaver Preferences" Window there is a Checkbox called "Lock screen when screensaver is active". Standard preset is "checked". Uncheck it. It drove me crazy years ago until I found it at this >logical< place. Consider not being the only one in reach of mouse or keyboard, it's easy to forget to Shut Down the PC when the screen is black.

If you at will lock the screen by "Lock Screen" in the Mint-Menu then it is the logical function to ask for the password to unlock it.

If the system is put to sleep by the Power Management, then you have to log yourself in (user login). That's logical.

The only way I know to avoid this is choosing "automatic login on boot without Password" (or similar wording) during the initial installation of the system. It's a small checkbox on one of the installation pages. Consider not being the only one in reach of the Power On button.

If everything works like I described it your PC is open for everyone with fingers. But the Power Management will keep your energy bill low without the annoyance of typing you password all day long.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

berndhae wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:37 am The only way I know to avoid this is choosing "automatic login on boot without Password" (or similar wording) during the initial installation of the system. It's a small checkbox on one of the installation pages. Consider not being the only one in reach of the Power On button.
Auto login doesn't disable the password requirement on the lock screen if the system is explicitly locked via the menu button or Ctrl-Alt-L keyboard shortcut. Adding the group nopasswdlogin to the user via Users & Groups settings module does though. However this also has the effect of no password required to login on startup from the Login Screen, albeit login isn't automatic - it just requires a mouse-click.

For completeness you can set / unset Autologin post installation via the Login Window settings module.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Darkmaster006
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darkmaster006 »

Thanky you both for your answers. It was indeed in 'Screensaver', both options were there and they're working wonderfully so far.

Return to “Beginner Questions”