All kind of Samba problems...

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
felsenstern
Level 1
Level 1

All kind of Samba problems...

Post by felsenstern »

Hiya,

I am using Linux Mint with a Samba Server (3.0.9.2) to mostly provide file services for my Windows 10 (21H2). While Samba seems to work just fine, my Windows system obviously causes all kind of issues when accessing Samba. So a few here:

- Folder and Drive Properties (context menu/properties) doesn't return correct numbers i.e. number of files, folders or sizes. (But if checked with treesize everything is correct.)
- Moving folders structures with files ending up in what appears incomplete file transfers (leaving folders and files behind which appeared to haven't successfully copied, but when checked manually everything is copied.)
- Applications creating folders often return native error 00020 without the slightest hint why this happens (disk is far from full, write access allowed, but if done manually everything folder and text files can be created...)

and so on. I have some more problems with executables on Samba shares, even with x-flags set they report - I think: resource problems...

I wondered if there is someone around who has a cleanly working Samba / Windows Combo who has encountered and solved these problems and would share the success story with me ;-).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: All kind of Samba problems...

Post by SMG »

You might want to check this post and possibly the links earlier in that topic as well.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

May I ask why you are asking this question in a Mint forum?
I am using Linux Mint with a Samba Server (3.0.9.2) to mostly provide file services for my Windows 10 (21H2).
Mint never had a release that included a version of samba that went all the way back to 3.0.9.2. Not even Mint 1.0 Ada beta.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RowlandP »

altair4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:02 pm May I ask why you are asking this question in a Mint forum?
I am using Linux Mint with a Samba Server (3.0.9.2) to mostly provide file services for my Windows 10 (21H2).
Mint never had a release that included a version of samba that went all the way back to 3.0.9.2. Not even Mint 1.0 Ada beta.
Nobody ever had Samba version 3.0.9.2 , there are just too many dots, perhaps 3.0.9 but if it is is, then I suggest you STOP using it immediately.
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Post by axrusar »

SMG wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:18 pm You might want to check this post and possibly the links earlier in that topic as well.
Ahhh!! This post just made my day :D I am glad it was helpful and possibly help some people out there. Thank you!
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics

Return to “Networking”