Some symbols show as boxes with hex number in them (Font not updated, I think)<Solved>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rockeater
Level 1
Level 1

Some symbols show as boxes with hex number in them (Font not updated, I think)<Solved>

Post by Rockeater »

Specifically Javanese letters and symbols, using version 20.3 with Mate DE, it doesn't show up either in Firefox or in the text editor.

I assume it's related to font, and tried to do what the Unicode consortium suggested :https://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html, but they seem to say it supposed to work, and the way they suggest to solve it is odd and I am not sure is safe, as the README file first line talks about
This is an update of all -Misc-Fixed-* fonts in the subdirectory

xc/fonts/bdf/misc/
Which I don't know where it exist, anyone know a better way to update the fonts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Some symbols show as boxes with hex number in them (Font not updated, I think)

Post by mikeflan »

Hi and welcome to the forum. The problem you describe is a somewhat common one, though most of us don't run into it a whole lot. I think it basically comes down to: If you don't have the same font as the person who created the source document, then irregularities can occur. You can read all about it on the web:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fixed-width+U ... tly&ia=web

Provide some more details and we will help you find the correct font to display the information correctly. If you need to attach at graphic file to the forum, here is how to do that:
viewtopic.php?p=2092757#p2092757
Rockeater
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Some symbols show as boxes with hex number in them (Font not updated, I think)

Post by Rockeater »

Well, the original text was on Firefox and it seems like the text is in the default font, so the question is how I install and use a Javanese compatible font, found this one: https://dafontfamily.com/javanese-text- ... -download/, but I am not sure how to get it working on Linux

Edit: Spelling
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Rockeater
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockeater »

Well, I don't know exactly what happened, probably needed to restart after I downloaded the right font pack, but it was solved, thank you, The font used is Noto Sans Javanese for anyone carious

Return to “Beginner Questions”