[SOLVED] 20.3 XFCE - "Calculator" keyboard button does nothing? (but it works on Cinnamon...)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] 20.3 XFCE - "Calculator" keyboard button does nothing? (but it works on Cinnamon...)

Post by NM64 »

In Mint 20.3 XFCE, pressing my keyboard's dedicated "Calculator" button simply does nothing.

But on Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, the default calculator will come up whenever I press the dedicated "Calculator" button on my keyboard. Furthermore, Cinnamon seems to let me specify a different default calculator (I much prefer "KCalc") which will then similarly come up instead whenever I press my keyboard's dedicated "Calculator" button.

This behavior occurs with both live USB as well as actual installed OSes for both XFCE and Cinnamon.

So is there any way to achieve this Cinnamon-like behavior in XFCE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 20.3 XFCE - "Calculator" keyboard button does nothing? (but it works on Cinnamon...)

Post by ThaCrip »

I just learned how to do this very recently as I too missed that function on my keyboard on Mint v20.3-Xfce (which, as you already know, works by default in Cinnamon). you do the following to get it working in Xfce...

Keyboard > Application Shortcuts. then click 'Add' and for the 'command' section you insert '/usr/bin/gnome-calculator' (without the ') and click 'OK'. it will then ask you to press and release the key you want to use, at which point you press your calculator key and your all set. then close out of that screen and now when you press the calculator key it should immediately work.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Beginner Questions”