Can't copy files from Linux to Windows now?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
allstarr
Level 1
Level 1

Can't copy files from Linux to Windows now?

Post by allstarr »

I tried to search "Can't copy files from Linux to Windows," and got "You specified too many words to search for. Please do not enter more than 5 words."
:?

I mainly use Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon; Cinnamon 3.8.9. I do go into Windows 10 on occasion, mainly for gaming, or a job that has a Windows only app. I can get some game to work via WINE, but others I go into Windows directly.

So, I have where I sometimes copy/cut-paste files from Linux to Windows, without problems.

However, after spending yesterday into Windows, when I came back to Linux, and wanted to cut/copy, when I went over to Windows, it won't allow me to paste.

*I* haven't messed with the settings in either OS. The only thing I did in Windows was to reset the date/time, because Windows seems to not want to keep time, when I boot into Linux. If I boot into Windows, shut down, and later boot back into Windows, the correct date/time remains. I don't think this should be a problem, as I've done it before, and not had my ability to move files between Linux and windows be altered.

I tried both keyboard shortcuts, which is what I usually do, and nothing. When I right-click to copy from Linux, and right-click to paste in Windows, paste is now grayed-out?

Searching online just brought a lot of general move from linux to windows; problems moving files between windows folders; and backing up files.

Please help.
:idea:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can't copy files from Linux to Windows now?

Post by AndyMH »

Sounds like win10 has re-enabled fast boot. Go into win and turn it off.
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... Windows-10
With fast boot on, win never really shuts down = leaves filesystems in a locked state = read-only to linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Can't copy files from Linux to Windows now?

Post by Petermint »

As mentioned above, switch off fast boot. I presume you are copying to and from an NTFS partition. Windows puts a "lock" on NTFS partitions until it shuts down fully. Fast boot puts Windows into hibernation, leaving the NTFS partition with updates in the journal but not moved into the data area.

This is similar to the Linux USB storage problem where data is not written fully until you issue a sync or eject or shut down.

NTFS can also have an error that requires a boot into Windows. Windows runs an automatic repair similar to the Linux fsdsk. The complexities of NTFS are sufficient that Linux only works with an unbroken unlocked NTFS. If the NTFS partition still does not work, look at the partition in Windows using the Windows admin programs to find any errors Windows can repair.

Return to “Beginner Questions”