MATE: Middlemouse paste setting ignored? Or what am I missing?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kevso
Level 1
Level 1

MATE: Middlemouse paste setting ignored? Or what am I missing?

Post by kevso »

Hey everyone :-)

Mint 20.3, MATE 1.26.0 user here...

I love that there's an option in Mint MATE settings, "Enable middlemouse paste," because I accidentally do this sometimes, often without realizing it until later. I therefore have it disabled/unchecked.

But regardless, middlemouse pasting happens anyway in several programs, including Firefox, Chromium, and VSCodium. Firefox has its own "middlemouse.paste" in about:config, but the other two don't seem to have settings for this that I could find.

It doesn't happen (even if enabled) in GIMP and xed.

So...what exactly does this setting do? Am I missing something that's required to make it have an effect? I've tried also unchecking the "Emulate middle..." just above it.

Just in case the setting isn't "live," before testing, I've been closing the mouse settings dialog after any change.

Thank you for any help! :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevso
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MATE: Middlemouse paste setting ignored? Or what am I missing?

Post by kevso »

Well, https://askubuntu.com/a/55988/161034 works, anyway. Maybe that's what the GUI option should do underneath, since whatever it does doesn't work particularly well otherwise. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”