[SOLVED] Ttf-mscorefonts-installer, what do I need to know about it and other fonts?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Ttf-mscorefonts-installer, what do I need to know about it and other fonts?

Post by Mint Leaf »

I'm seeing other users cautioning about installing "Ttf-mscorefonts-installer" and the packages page in the Software Manager for it also says:
"NOTE: The package fonts-liberation contains free variants of the Times, Arial and Courier fonts. It's better to use those instead unless you specifically need one of the other fonts from this package."
I have a few questions about this:
  • Does "Ttf-mscorefonts-installer" require payment to use?
  • What is the negative of installing this font package? As I've said I see caution being advised but I would like to know more about why.
  • Does this package contain the fonts themselves or just an installer program that will import them from another online site.
  • Will these work with LibreOffice automatically if I install them via the Software Manager?
  • Is "Ttf-mscorefonts-installer" the Microsoft company's program?
  • I think that Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon (Edge) came with 'fonts-liberation' already installed, are there any other font packs I should be looking at? (English language ones specifically.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Ttf-mscorefonts-installer, what do I need to know about it and other fonts?

Post by djph »

Mint Leaf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:47 am I'm seeing other users cautioning about installing "Ttf-mscorefonts-installer" and the packages page in the Software Manager for it also says:
"NOTE: The package fonts-liberation contains free variants of the Times, Arial and Courier fonts. It's better to use those instead unless you specifically need one of the other fonts from this package."
I have a few questions about this:

Does "Ttf-mscorefonts-installer" require payment to use?
No.
Mint Leaf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:47 am What is the negative of installing this font package? As I've said I see caution being advised but I would like to know more about why.
You're bound to the MS EULA for the fonts included in the pack.
Mint Leaf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:47 am Does this package contain the fonts themselves or just an installer program that will import them from another online site.
No. As I understand it, the installer grabs the relevant *CAB files from Microsoft (after you've accepted the EULA, of course).
Mint Leaf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:47 am Will these work with LibreOffice automatically if I install them via the Software Manager?
They should, but you might need a logout to force LO to refresh the font list.
Mint Leaf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:47 am Is "Ttf-mscorefonts-installer" the Microsoft company's program?
No, it's a package written and maintained by Debian developers. It downloads stuff from Microsoft though.
Mint Leaf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:47 am I think that Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon (Edge) came with 'fonts-liberation' already installed, are there any other font packs I should be looking at? (English language ones specifically.)
That depends on what you're actually after. In my experience, the defaults are perfectly acceptable for nearly everyone (excepting schools wherein they mandate a specific font. But at least in university, I was able to talk with the profs and find a suitable compromise.)
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Ttf-mscorefonts-installer, what do I need to know about it and other fonts?

Post by Mint Leaf »

To avoid signing Microsoft's EULA I'll stick with the 'fonts-liberation' font set.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Return to “Beginner Questions”