20.3 XFCE - How do I start the update manager maximized when launched from the applications menu?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

20.3 XFCE - How do I start the update manager maximized when launched from the applications menu?

Post by NM64 »

On 20.3 XFCE, whenever I launch the update manager from the applications menu, it never starts maximized even if I maximize it and right-click -> quit on its icon located on the panel.

Even if it looks like it takes up the full screen, it's actually not maximized since, if you click while your pointer is located in the very top-right of your screen, it won't close the update manager (but it will close any maximized windows that are open behind the update manager window).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this either doesn't happen on Cinnamon or the window is actually of the same size that it would be when maximized anyway (e.g. clicking the very top-right corner does in fact actually close the update manager window)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: 20.3 XFCE - How do I start the update manager maximized when launched from the applications menu?

Post by smurphos »

It's a known limitation of mint update - it 'remembers' the window geometry, but not the window state when it's closed down. It's something that the developers could probably fix - bug report it here - https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/issues
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 20.3 XFCE - How do I start the update manager maximized when launched from the applications menu?

Post by NM64 »

smurphos wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:46 am It's a known limitation of mint update
I forgot to mention that the issue doesn't seem to occur with Cinnamon though, or at least on Cinnamon it's the same size as an actual maximized window so that clicking the very top-right corner of your screen actually closes the update manager.

Therefore does that mean it's still an issue specifically with Mint Update rather than anything relating to XFCE?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The being a maximised size without actually being maximised is common to all the DEs.

The specific issue in XFCE appears to be a problem with the Mint-Y xfwm4 theme (that themes the title bar) - changing the theme to Default in Window manager settings avoids this happening - I suspect this a rounded corners side effect - this would be bug reported in https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-themes/issues
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

smurphos wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:35 amthis would be bug reported in https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-themes/issues
Are you saying it is a bug that's already reported, or that it's not and is something that I myself should report?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

A bug that needs reporting..
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

Understood; I've reported it now: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-themes/issues/357

EDIT: I've also confirmed that this issue occurs out-of-the-box on a live ISO/USB of Mint 20.3 XFCE.

Return to “Beginner Questions”