Used flatbed scanner to digitze 4 photos at a time. What's the easy way to get individual photos?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Used flatbed scanner to digitze 4 photos at a time. What's the easy way to get individual photos?

Post by pepperminty »

We used a flatbed scanner to scan photos four at time (in a 2x2 layout).
Now we're wondering: What is an easy way to get each TIFF/JPEG file "chopped" and cropped? In other words, I'd like each original TIFF/JPEG to turn into 4 individual photos.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Used flatbed scanner to digitze 4 photos at a time. What's the easy way to get individual photos?

Post by Moem »

Open the image in Pix, crop to one picture, save. Undo the cropping, crop to a different picture, and save that. And so on.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Used flatbed scanner to digitze 4 photos at a time. What's the easy way to get individual photos?

Post by smurphos »

Mint's Document Scanner GUI has a crop before save function, so you could just use that..
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Post by axrusar »

A few ideas...
I do not know any "automatic" way to accomplish this, it would have to be a program with AI to separate each individual picture.
If you do not care about the resolution, for example if the pictures will be used for web purposes, you can use a screenshot utility like Flameshot, available in the Mint software repos. Open the pictures zoomed on the screen, and use Flameshot to mark the desired area and save the new file very easily.

Another option if you want to keep resolution and a consistent frame size, use Gimp with a fixed size selection and save each picture, but this will require a bit more skill and time of course. With some practice, you can use the keyboard shortcuts and do it faster.
I use Photoshop, i am not sure if gimp has this feature, but if you have access to Photoshop, and you are positioning the pictures in the same spots on the scanner, you can record the slicing actions and export everything in one single action... just in case you have a lot of pictures to scan.
Good luck
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I would use gthumb to manually crop. gthumb doesn't do much else so very easy to use.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Using ImageMagick is an option:
https://legacy.imagemagick.org/Usage/crop/
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just use the on board, ScreenShot utility and save direct from the screen, the parts of the image that I want.

So much faster than a lot of utilities.

If I need to change the Pixel count, I then load that image into GIMP.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:18 am Open the image in Pix, crop to one picture, save. Undo the cropping, crop to a different picture, and save that. And so on.
Instead of undoing the cropping, use Save As instead of Save. Save As saves the modified image as a new file and leaves the original intact.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:44 am
Moem wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:18 am Open the image in Pix, crop to one picture, save. Undo the cropping, crop to a different picture, and save that. And so on.
Instead of undoing the cropping, use Save As instead of Save. Save As saves the modified image as a new file and leaves the original intact.
I do that also, Image.jpg after the crop become Image2.jpg so that they stay together when looking NEMO alphabetically.

in some cases if it has been scaled, Image-220pix.jpg like for Avatars, etc.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

If they are of value, the scan can save to .PNG. The scan program and Gimp can chop into four. If you use Gimp, you can make other changes including rotate to the right orientation and increase the contrast for washed out prints. You can export the full resolution image as a save-for-the-future .PNG plus resize down and export as a .JunkPEG for display on your phone.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

pepperminty wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:13 am We used a flatbed scanner to scan photos four at time (in a 2x2 layout).
Now we're wondering: What is an easy way to get each TIFF/JPEG file "chopped" and cropped? In other words, I'd like each original TIFF/JPEG to turn into 4 individual photos.

Thank you.
Open the scanned image in GIMP
Drag guides in from the horizontal and vertical rulers - in your case one of each.
You can reposition these by going to the Move tool in Toolbox (4 way arrow) then select click the 'Pick a layer or Guide' button from the box below
When you are happy with the position of the guides go to Image>Transform>Guillotine
You'll then get the required number of bits as individual files. Export/save each file as required.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:09 am I would use gThumb to manually crop. gThumb doesn't do much else so very easy to use.
I agree and that's what I use for that type of job or usually simply cropping a picture. So easy, so quick.
It can also improve focus and simple colour editing.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

thanks to all for the replies.
I know i can manually crop, but isn't there a way to use technology (software) to detect the photographs (maybe by seeing that pictuers have all a variety of color which stops at the edge of white (the background of the flatbed scanner) and have it (software) autochop?
That's what's behind my question.
freshminted
Level 4
Level 4

Post by freshminted »

Note that I haven't actually used any of these. It just sounded like an interesting problem...

See https://turbofuture.com/graphic-design- ... g-Software for lots of suggestions, mainly Windows & Mac, but a few Linux, especially http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/ ... /index.php (scroll down the page a bit for the script) and https://francoismalan.com/2013/01/how-t ... ed-photos/.

Be prepared for a bit of work "under the hood" to actually use them.
Complete World Domination within five years.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

thanks, freshminted. plan on looking at that in a few days.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

pepperminty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:59 am thanks to all for the replies.
I know i can manually crop, but isn't there a way to use technology (software) to detect the photographs (maybe by seeing that pictuers have all a variety of color which stops at the edge of white (the background of the flatbed scanner) and have it (software) autochop?
That's what's behind my question.
As indicated by axrusar, it would require some pretty sophisticated AI to automatically detect, separate, & crop your images. While you may not think about it, there are actually a LOT of variables to consider:
  • 1. The positioning of your images on the page
  • 2. The size of the scanned page (8.5x11, 8.5x14, A4, etc)
  • 3. The orientation of the images (landscape vs portrait)
  • 4. The size of each of the images (3x5", 4x6", 5x7", etc)
  • 5. The rotation of the images
  • 6. etc.
If any of these are not "as expected", then any detection would be off....and you would end up with a mess of incorrectly sized & positioned images.

If we assume:
  • 1. The page is consistently sized for all scans
  • 2. The photos were all the same size, and were positioned exactly in each corner of the page
  • 3. The orientation of each photo is all the same
  • 4. There exists whitespace of similar/detectable size between each photo
...then the simplest technique would be
  • 1. Divide the page into 4 quadrants - halfway vertically, and halfway horizontally
  • 2. Save each quadrant as it's own uniquely-named .PNG or .JPG
  • 3. Open each .PNG or .JPG and apply an auto-crop function (imagemagick)
  • 4. Re-save the .PNG or .JPG
  • 5. Repeat for the next full page scan
That wouldn't compensate for any photos that aren't perfectly rotated & aligned, but it could do the trick if you're not after perfection. It would, however, still require manual coding of a bash or other script to perform this task.

So it's possible.... but it might be faster/easier to just re-scan them as individual images if you're not proficient in coding.
By all means feel free to explore freshminted's suggestions, but as indicated, be prepared for a good bit of "under the hood" preparation before you'd be able to even attempt using them.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pepperminty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:59 am That's what's behind my question.
It might have been more convenient if it was front and center. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

pepperminty wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:13 am We used a flatbed scanner to scan photos four at time (in a 2x2 layout).
Good old irfan-view can do it automagically:
iview-mult-image.jpg
Edit: Here are the output images:
iview-mult-image2.jpg
iview-mult-image2.jpg (13.46 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

Moem wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:29 am
Depends on your scanner. For example I use a Canon 8800F - 20 years old so hardly hi-tech.
I use Vuescan - which is a commercial product - though the Canon free original Windows version from which it is ported works fine with Windows 8.1 in a VM.

There are a couple of settings which allow it to sequntilly scan a number of pictures on the scan bed by autocropping the first preview. All you have to do is click save>next>save>next etc..... job done.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

bin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:21 am
Moem wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:29 am
Depends on your scanner. (...)
I assume you meant to reply to the OP?

Return to “Beginner Questions”