GREEN nubi - cant get Brave browser to install - snapd issue?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jfenley
Level 1
Level 1

GREEN nubi - cant get Brave browser to install - snapd issue?

Post by Jfenley »

very green nubi to Linux - ms windows user for 20 years (I'm done with them!) - got Mint 20 cinnamon installed ok - got LibreOffice installed ok - I know 0 about using terminal or command line and I need to install the Brave browser. I have followed all the steps @ https://snapcraft.io/install/brave/mint but keep getting message about "can't find directory" after using command: sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref sudo apt update.
I am complexly lost and have no idea how to proceed.
ANY help will be appreciated!!
Thanks
jfenley :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: GREEN nubi - cant get Brave browser to install - snapd issue?

Post by JoeFootball »

Jfenley wrote: "can't find directory" after using command: sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref sudo apt update.
I suspect those are intended to be two separate commands. i.e., sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref and sudo apt update.
Jfenley wrote: ANY help will be appreciated!!
I don't know much about installing Snap packages (nor would I try to use such), but I do know that you can install Brave without them ...
https://brave.com/linux/#linux
Justin Time
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Justin Time »

That is the website I used to set up Brave on my PC, JoeFootball. I'm using Tricia 19

This is just a guess because I'm not familiar with LM 20... one thing that stood out on all places I looked to get 'Brave' shows it only supports 64 bit. IF you are using 32 bit it's not going to work. Brave doesn't support it.
Jfenley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jfenley »

Thank you for your response. I tried separating the commands as you suggested but was still unable to make any progress.

Then I went to the https://brave.com/linux/#linux link you suggested but could not even understand what they are saying\suggesting.

I don't even know what a "snap package" is or how or why I would use it.
Jfenley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jfenley »

Thank you too Justin for your response. I don't know what "Tricia 19" and the laptop I have installed Mint 20 on is a 64 bit.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Jfenley wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:45 pm Thank you too Justin for your response. I don't know what "Tricia 19" and the laptop I have installed Mint 20 on is a 64 bit.
Tricia is the code name for Linux Mint 19.3

If you installed Linux Mint 20, then your computer is 64 bit. There is no 32 bit option.

I would forget about installing anything snap related, unless you don't mind Ubuntu tracking your usage and running a snap process at all times in the background.

These instructions are not that difficult from the Brave website for Debian 9+, Ubuntu 16.04+ and Mint 18+.

Just copy and paste each one, one at a time, into the terminal and let the command do its job. There are 5 separate commands.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl

sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

OK, do you know how to copy and paste items? If so, down on the bottom of the screen in the command line are several icons. The third icon from the left is a black square with small t_ symbol in it. If you click on it you will open the terminal window. As was said before, copy and paste the commands that where indicated in that post into the terminal window one at a time and follow the instructions.
Jfenley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jfenley »

Hi Kevin987, thanks for responding. Have not been able to figure out how to even do something simple like copy the commands you suggested and past them into the terminal window. I think I have made a big mistake trying to switch to Linux since I don't have the time to learn a a whole new operating system and need to be productive instead of just flopping around..
Thanks again to those that responded and tried to help me.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Since you managed to post something you are not "flopping around" just looking for answers. I don't know which Operating System (OS) you are used to but most support copy/paste even if it is called somewhat different. Hope you will stick around and learn the basics of LM.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Jfenley wrote: Have not been able to figure out how to even do something simple like copy the commands you suggested and past them into the terminal window.
Highlight a line, then right-click on it, and select Copy. Go to the terminal window, right-click on it, and select Paste.

Return to “Beginner Questions”