[SOLVED] With bluetooth dissable, no sound from speaker when it's audio jack is plugged in

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jdaubman
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] With bluetooth dissable, no sound from speaker when it's audio jack is plugged in

Post by jdaubman »

Hello.

I get no sound when my bluetooth speaker's https://thenarret.com/wp-content/upload ... Manual.pdf audio jack is plugged in, and when I disable the bluetooth.

I'm running Linux Mint on my desktop PC: https://thenarret.com/wp-content/upload ... -Guide.pdf

Here's a screenshot of my system details:

The question is, how do I get sound from my speaker by just plugging the audio cable into the computer? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Re: With bluetooth dissable, no sound from speaker when plugged in

Post by axrusar »

May you post some more specific information so other guys here can help you better?

Whats the status of your bluetooth for example:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl status bluetooth
Is your device connecting to the computer:
Start>Preferences>Bluetooth Manager

You should see your speaker connected like my headset here:

Please describe the issue in more detail.
good luck
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
jdaubman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: With bluetooth dissable, no sound from speaker when plugged in

Post by jdaubman »

axrusar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:52 am May you post some more specific information so other guys here can help you better?

Whats the status of your bluetooth for example:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl status bluetooth
Is your device connecting to the computer:
Start>Preferences>Bluetooth Manager

You should see your speaker connected like my headset here:

Please describe the issue in more detail.
good luck

Please see my edited original post for a better explanation of the problem I'm having.
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Re: With bluetooth dissable, no sound from speaker when it's audio jack is plugged in

Post by axrusar »

jdaubman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 am Hello.

I get no sound when my bluetooth speaker's.... audio jack is plugged in, and when I disable the bluetooth.

Ok so you want to connect the speaker with the included (3.5mm) AUX cable to the computer and you are not getting any sound is what i understand.
Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take:

From your speaker manual:

0. Disable the bluetooth connection to the speaker on your computer AND your cellphone or any other device you may had previously paired it with. Im thinking your cellphone may be hijacking it via bluetooth when you disable it on the computer.
1. Have you tested the speaker with the AUX cable with another device like your cellphone for example? It works?
2. Are you plugging the cable to the green output in the BACK of your PC?
3. Have you tested your PC's sound output with wired headphones (or any other wired speakers) to make sure it works?
4. Check the sound settings in linux mint (click the sound icon in the lower right side and then click "sound settings") and make sure the output is on your sound card and not something different.. like this example:

Sometimes when i turn off my bluetooth headphones, or disconnect the TV from the HDMI port, the sound does not automatically switch to my sound card... little glitch there.

Let me know if that helps
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
jdaubman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: With bluetooth dissable, no sound from speaker when it's audio jack is plugged in

Post by jdaubman »

axrusar wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:46 am
jdaubman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 am Hello.

I get no sound when my bluetooth speaker's.... audio jack is plugged in, and when I disable the bluetooth.
Ok so you want to connect the speaker with the included (3.5mm) AUX cable to the computer and you are not getting any sound is what i understand.
Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take:

From your speaker manual:

0. Disable the bluetooth connection to the speaker on your computer AND your cellphone or any other device you may had previously paired it with. Im thinking your cellphone may be hijacking it via bluetooth when you disable it on the computer. (This wasn't an issue.)
1. Have you tested the speaker with the AUX cable with another device like your cellphone for example? It works? (Did that. It doesn't work.)
2. Are you plugging the cable to the green output in the BACK of your PC? (That's an affirmative.)
3. Have you tested your PC's sound output with wired headphones (or any other wired speakers) to make sure it works? (I don't have any wired headphones or other wired speakers.)
4. Check the sound settings in linux mint (click the sound icon in the lower right side and then click "sound settings") and make sure the output is on your sound card and not something different.
I got it fixed, however. When I bought the speaker, I also bought a better auxiliary cable, and used that instead of what came with the speaker. I switched out the cable to what came with the speaker, and it worked fine. Who would have thought that this was the problem. I didn't know that speaker cables could be different.

Thanks for your help. It pushed me to check the obvious solution.
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] With bluetooth dissable, no sound from speaker when it's audio jack is plugged in

Post by axrusar »

Cool you figured it out.
Maybe the other wire you got has a 4 conductor plug instead of 3. I had this issue before trying to use cellphone headphones on my laptop and they didn't work,
Good luck

Return to “Beginner Questions”