Patch for PwnKit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ICIT2LOL
Level 2
Level 2

Patch for PwnKit

Post by ICIT2LOL »

I found this amongst my emails today https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pa ... r-systems/ and am wondering what to do about it.
Is it really a threat or not??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits"
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Patch for PwnKit

Post by kevin987 »

ICIT2LOL wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:59 pm I found this amongst my emails today https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pa ... r-systems/ and am wondering what to do about it.
Is it really a threat or not??
Please read this thread for possible solution:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=366726
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Yes, it is a real threat. The fix was pushed to the update manager already, just stay up-to-date.
ICIT2LOL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ICIT2LOL »

Ok thanks for the replies folks I will keep an eye out for the updates.

Edit now just how can I tell if the fix has been done on my machine??
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits"
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Go into the Update Manager, check View menu -> History of updates.

find policykit-1, and there are a few other packages that are also with that. check the version. 0.105-26ubuntu1.1 to 0.105-26ubuntu1.2

check the changelog on that version: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=policykit-1
check that page, pick your option, which is "focal" if you're on Mint 20.x., and you see on that page it is referencing the 1.2 package so you know what you're looking at,
now check that page on the right side for resources it will give you "changelog" which takes you there: http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs ... /changelog

in the changelog you see that most recent entry, and you see that date, yes, and you can copy/paste that CVE-2021-4034 into a search engine and know that this is it, even though that article you linked never gave the CVE number.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Or just open a terminal and:

Check your installed version

Code: Select all

apt policy policykit-1
Check the change-log for the installed version

Code: Select all

apt changelog policykit-1
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
JoeBachofen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JoeBachofen »

I checked my system as suggested and found: 2022-01-26 ... policykit-1 0.105-26ubuntu1.1 did go to 1.2
That was followed by a firefox update the next day; no further updates since then despite multiple tries.
Latest firefox and webkit2gtk updates fail in Update Manager as "Could not install the security update" not very helpful. :-(
My problem is that Update Manager can no longer do updates and Synaptic won't even launch.
After reinstalling Synaptic, verifying 755 permissions throughout /usr/bin Update Manager is still NOP and Synaptic won't open.

Is anyone else having this problem?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Oh, nice smurfos, I wasn't aware of the changelog feature.

There's version also, I guess that's pretty direct. I was hung into the long winded, more about the idea, chasing out the data.

But I guess version and changelog is as direct as it needs to be.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The mitigation update for polkit was available in all major Linux distos before the vulnerability was publicly known.
A good reason to check updates regularly. Security turns on a dime.
Before you even knew about the polkit vulnerability Mint team had your back
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”