Mouse gets stuck in drag mode and then input doesn't work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ernest21

Mouse gets stuck in drag mode and then input doesn't work

Post by Ernest21 »

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.13.0-27-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 wm: muffin 5.2.0 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: X570 GAMING X v: x.x 
  serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: F35 
  date: 07/08/2021 
CPU:
  Topology: 12-Core model: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Zen L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 
  svm 
  bogomips: 182069 
  Speed: 3231 MHz min/max: 2200/3800 MHz boost: enabled 
  Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3231 2: 2405 3: 2195 4: 2196 5: 2259 6: 2196 
  7: 2195 8: 2028 9: 3593 10: 2034 11: 2196 12: 2195 13: 2328 
  14: 2196 15: 2195 16: 2196 17: 2195 18: 2075 19: 2197 20: 2195 
  21: 2195 22: 2196 23: 2196 24: 2201 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] vendor: ASUSTeK 
  driver: nvidia v: 510.47.03 bus ID: 08:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1380 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: nvidia 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 
  v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.47.03 direct render: Yes  
Sometimes when I click something it seems like the cursor gets stuck in drag mode. This happens with at least two devices, mouse and graphics tablet, so it's not a problem with the devices. I think it started happening after some update, but I don't remember when. I think it didn't always happen.

If it gets stuck in most programs (for example Chrome, VSCode), I can resolve it by pressing Esc. It frequently causes some text drops, for example on the desktop. This is an annoying issue.

But it's a different story when it happens on the panel (where the menu button and the program icons are). I click some application icon, the cursor gets stuck in the drag mode (showing something like an X cursor). I click Esc, and it returns the cursor to the normal mode. However after this the cursor no longer functions. I can still press the dashboard key (Win key) and it opens the menu, and I can type and select programs, I think I can even launch programs. However, I cannot click any application with the cursor, I cannot use Alt-Tab, and I think I can only type inside the menu.

This started happening not too long ago, maybe a month or two ago, and it happens frequently.

I do

sudo service lightdm restart
when it happens, which closes all the applications.

Why is this happening, and am I the only one affected by this bug, and how do i resolve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mouse gets stuck in drag mode and then input doesn't work

Post by mikeflan »

I have seen this, on LM 19.3 and on windows, but it is exceedingly rare. Once a year or less. If I remember right I don't need to press Esc, I just click a couple times and it is over. No restart needed. It usually happens in a file selection box (Save-As), or perhaps in Nemo.
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

With me it happens all the time. And causes frequent crashes when the cursor gets stuck after clicking something on the panel. How could I resolve this?
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

After trying to reproduce it I learned that it happens when the drag was initiated soon after the left mouse button was pressed. So if I click something (without releasing the mouse) then move the mouse a bit and release it, this can occur.
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

Now I can reproduce it consistently. What should I do to see what's happening? Is there some way to see / record logs?
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

I've tested with `xinput --test-xi2 --root` and haven't found anything unusual. Left button release happens after left button press. And the cursor still gets stuck in the drag mode. So it appears the button release is registered, but doesn't cause the exit from the drag mode as it should.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

I don't know of any logs that would capture this, but that is not to say there are none.

You are on the edge cinnamon version and you should be. You could always roll the kernel back as a test.

That would be a very annoying problem to have. I am glad I do not have it (LM 19.3 5.4.0.96 kernel). We are looking for somebody else who has seen this problem.
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

I've tried:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor active false
from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=282146

The cursor doesn't seem to be getting stuck in the grab mode anymore
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

No, it still happens.

Maybe just somewhat less frequently.
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

I submitted a bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1961034
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

This is the video of the issue: https://emalm.com/?v=DsBSK
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:43 am You could always roll the kernel back as a test.
I tried older kernels (5.4.0-26 and 5.11.0-46) and it didn't help.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

Your bug report says:
If I press the left mouse button over something draggable
What is it that you are using in your video for a demonstration. It says Google. Why/how is that Google dragable?

A Nemo window title bar is dragable. Can you reproduce it with a Nemo window title bar?
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

mikeflan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:11 am Your bug report says:
If I press the left mouse button over something draggable
What is it that you are using in your video for a demonstration. It says Google. Why/how is that Google dragable?

A Nemo window title bar is dragable. Can you reproduce it with a Nemo window title bar?
I'm navigating to https://www.google.com/ in Chrome and dragging the "Google" logo image.

I cannot reproduce it with Nemo: I tried dragging the title bar, files, and it doesn't get stuck there.

However I can reproduce it with some programs. Dragging baobab title bar can result in it being stuck in the drag mode (not sure if it's a part of Nemo).

Also it's reproducible with the panel (where the menu icon and the opened program icons are).

I can also sometimes reproduce it with Firefox's title bar.
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

Also if I play chess online, the pieces never get stuck to the cursor after releasing the mouse. It only affects draggable things. So it's a bug in the implementation of dragging somewhere.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

In your video it looks like you are using a non-standard mouse pointer. Is that the case, and if so, do you still have the stickyness issue when you change settings to the standard mouse pointer?
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Ernest21

Post by Ernest21 »

vimes666 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:56 am In your video it looks like you are using a non-standard mouse pointer. Is that the case, and if so, do you still have the stickyness issue when you change settings to the standard mouse pointer?
Yes, it is the same with the standard pointer
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Did you reboot after setting the standard pointer (just to be sure).
Frankly I cannot think of something else causing this.
Can you return the result of this command?

grep -iE "error|fail|critical|warning" /home/$USER/.xsession-errors
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Sorry, I couldn't resist this when I saw "Mouse...in drag mode". :wink:

Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

I can also sometimes reproduce it with Firefox's title bar.
Twice in the last 4 days I have had this happen. The FF window gets stuck to the mouse pointer. Just one click after it gets stuck and it places the window where you clicked and it doesn't do it again. I am on LM 19.3 and I have seen this in the past, but very rarely.

Return to “Beginner Questions”