Live disk asking for User and password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carling

Live disk asking for User and password

Post by carling »

I downloaded Mint 8 universal I want to install it on a 360 gig Sata drive, so I disconnected my IDE drive, booted up the system and got a load of errors. next thing I did was I connected the IDE drive rebooted and the live dvd booted up, so I tried to install it on my sata drive, I now on booting up I have a grub error and it won't boot up at all, either from the IDE drive or the Sata drive. Which I am far from pleased about, If i have lost everything on the IDE drive that's tough on me, but disappointing never the less,

Now when I boot up with the live disk it's asking for a user name and password., so dose anyone know what the user name and password is. so that I can once again try to install it on my Sata drive.

Next problem is the Sata dive is 360 gig, but Gpart is telling me it is 290 gig 70 gig is a lot to lose so how can I get it back to 360 or there about

Next I have also downloaded Mint 8 CD ISO File started the make the live boot disk and on the last minute of finalizing it craps out with a write error.. I did a simulation write first and came up with success, has any body got any ideas as to why it crapped out?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Live disk asking for User and password

Post by exploder »

I sounds like you are getting bad burns. If you are using Brasero to burn the iso, turn off all of the plugins, they tend to produce errors. Burn the iso at the lowest possible speed. There is no password for the Live CDs, it is blank. Have you successfully burned iso files onto the brand of disks you are using? That one is a long shot but is is possible to get bad disks.
carling

Post by carling »

this may sound stuip but I have had it boot up, with the universal mint 8 disk it's when the Sata drive is connected the problems starts, in fact it is running now off the live disk,.

when I connect the sata drive and boot up it asks for a password and user name. I have even tried installing mint 7 on the sata drive but it won't install What is it with Mint and Sata drives? sometimes it won't even boot up it comes up with a load of error text and busy body something or other
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I get the same thing on the live CD - but not every time.
It appears to happen when I leave a USB stick plugged in, but also happens occasionally when there's nothing plugged in.
I've tried going with nothing in the username or password - no luck.

Obviously there's something in there or this wouldn't happen - I really doubt it's a bad burn.
The best advice I can offer at this point is - if it happens, try rebooting. it's a bit annoying as loading a liveCD is several minutes worth and this happens almost at the end.
jeffery6803

Post by jeffery6803 »

you can use the oem install option and set your password later it will skip past login screen

Return to “Beginner Questions”