Installing a dev package vs non-dev package

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EAM

Installing a dev package vs non-dev package

Post by EAM »

I think that I understand that if you want to compile a program that uses a library you need the dev files and that if you want to run a program that uses a library you need the non-dev package(?). Are there differences in the libraries or just that the dev package includes headers and other development files? Would I just be able to install just dev packages for any libraries I might need for both purposes? I'm still trying to figure out exactly which package to install when I come upon an error that says I need a certain library so any insight would be very helpful and quite nice. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: Installing a dev package vs non-dev package

Post by rich_roast »

I think the following is a decent rule of thumb: development packages are so called because they are intended for developers, i.e., people who are going to be compiling source code. So if you're error is coming up in the course of compiling something, then you'll need the dev package. On the other hand, if it's a compiled program that won't launch because it can't find libfoo.so, then you just need the normal libfoo package.
ffeingol

Re: Installing a dev package vs non-dev package

Post by ffeingol »

The dev version normally only include the 'c' header files (files named xxx.h) and don't include the actual library files.

Return to “Beginner Questions”