[Feature, not defect] "Update Manager" doesn't automatically 'Refresh' when manually opened and not already in tray mode

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

[Feature, not defect] "Update Manager" doesn't automatically 'Refresh' when manually opened and not already in tray mode

Post by NM64 »

EDIT: As described in the title, the update manager not automatically "Refresh" when manually opened and not already in tray mode appears to be an intentional design choice rather than an oversight.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Have the "Update Manager" automatically 'Refresh' when manually opened?

Post by djph »

Normally it updates hourly (or every N hours --- I can never remember) ... but since you don't let it run in the background; that automatic update doesn't run...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Reduce the time in the settings of the update manager for the first refresh from 10 to 1 minute.

Besides that, I do not understand, that you make the expense to launch UM manually and then you complain, that you have to do a simple click for immediate refreshing. But as you like. You know now, how you can achieve what you want. (You could also simply wait for 10 minutes.)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:29 pm Reduce the time in the settings of the update manager for the first refresh from 10 to 1 minute.

Besides that, I do not understand, that you make the expense to launch UM manually and then you complain, that you have to do a simple click for immediate refreshing. But as you like. You know now, how you can achieve what you want. (You could also simply wait for 10 minutes.)
They could also offer the option to auto update sources when manually opened. That's a kludgy workaround if I ever hjeard one.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

NM64 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:08 pm I prefer to not have the "Update Manager" not run at startup and instead prefer to manually open the program, so I've disabled the corresponding startup entry.
What is your objection to having the Update Manager run at start up? Perhaps the forum can suggest an alternative way to achieve your objective.
Cliff Coggin
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

Last edited by NM64 on Thu May 05, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

NM64 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:01 pm making sure the OS does not automatically update
This does not happen, if you do not activate this on your own.

BTW: You can also set the time for the first refresh to 8 (or 10 or 12 ...) hours. In that case you see new updates only at the end of the day, but you see them automatically.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

The OS will not automatically update unless you intentionally set it to do so. The default setting is for you to initiate the updates.
Cliff Coggin
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

NM64 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:18 pm ...which brings me back to the first post of this thread.
Might be, but only if you want to to make complicated for yourself.

You did not reply to my note in viewtopic.php?p=2170936#p2170936.

You've got possible solutions in viewtopic.php?p=2170936#p2170936 and in viewtopic.php?p=2171848#p2171848

And another BTW: It is totally normal, that the update manager shows for several hours "all OK", although it is not the case. This happens, if an update arrives a few minutes after UM has looked for updates. With the default settings UM looks for updates with a intermission of several hours. - But even this is adjustable.

If you do not want to do anything than pointing to your first post, than have a nice day. It's getting boring.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

NM64 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:30 pm because the update manager specifically states that the auto-refresh only happens when the update manager is in tray mode
This is in contrast to UM being visible on the desktop. My advises are, that you should change the settings, not to let the UM window open for the rest of the day. Settings changes take place usually once, than the case is closed.

And once more: On all systems it is the most usual case, that UM sits in the tray and tells, that the system is up-to-date although it isn't. This is not a mistake, but real life. The updates arrive somewhere in the middle between 2 checks of UM. That means, statistically it tells for the half of the time between 2 checks something wrong. And if you set the time for the first check after startup to something about 10 hours (a big mistake, so not recommended), than you will get in those hours obviously not even a notification. - What you wrote in the starting post is consequently absolutely the same for everybody, not a reason for any change.

But you started the thread with the wish, that UM auto-refreshes after manually opening it and you got also a solution, how you can achieve that.

Enough said, do as you like. We could(!) discuss more misunderstandings, e.g. in viewtopic.php?p=2171781#p2171781, where you say, that you "commonly" run your machines without network access and complain 1 line above about "push notification manner". I leave it to your secret, how UM shall check and notify, if there is no network connection. You describe impossible things, obviously not your actual experience.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [Feature, not defect] "Update Manager" doesn't automatically 'Refresh' when manually opened and not already in tray

Post by cliffcoggin »

Considering NM64 has heavily edited his question and deleted all other responses I guess he is no longer interested in the matter.
Cliff Coggin
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Feature, not defect] "Update Manager" doesn't automatically 'Refresh' when manually opened and not already in tray

Post by kevin987 »

I don't have the Update Manager on startup. Did so to save on boot time.

I have the Initial refresh and Recurring refresh both set to 1 minute.

At least half the time it shows me updates when I fire it up, which I usually do late in the afternoon or evening, normally once per day.

If it doesn't show any I might click Refresh to make sure.

No problems here.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
spamhog
Level 3
Level 3

Post by spamhog »

Can anyone confirm the meaning of: "first, ... refresh after..." "then, ... refresh after..." ?

After boot? After first install? After first refresh? After last refresh? After first refresh in the current uptime? After closing the Update Manager to tray? After changing the wait timers or some other setting? :?:
If after boot, will the UM wait up to n weeks continuous uptime before refreshing the update list for the first time or for the second time?
Is the "then" timer started after the 1st refresh?

I couldn't figure it out from "man mintupdate" or "man mintupdate-cli". I tried to locate the config file but searching for a "mintupdate" filename produced about 90 hits (not /timeshift).

I'd rathen not try to guess what a realistic interpretation might be.

It must be blindingly obvious, but not to me... :lol:
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

spamhog wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:00 pm Can anyone confirm the meaning of: "first, ... refresh after..." "then, ... refresh after..." ?

See this

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=384063&p=2247964#p2247964
Cliff Coggin
spamhog
Level 3
Level 3

Post by spamhog »

Thank you Cliff! I repeat it here for ease of finding.

first / after is all relative to boot time

e.g.

- if a comp is turned off and rebooted daily,
and the user is happy with a daily refresh,
"first" within the normal uninterrupted daily uptime is enough
and "then" specified in days is not needed

- if a comp is on all the time (e.g. it's suspended, not shut down)
and the user wants a refresh independent from boot
"then" is the way to go

however, if "first" and "then" are set longer than the routine uptime, neither gets triggered

Return to “Beginner Questions”