Images not showing preview

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frostymusic
Level 4
Level 4

Images not showing preview

Post by frostymusic »

Not all but some like .jpg won't show preview??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Images not showing preview

Post by smurphos »

Some context definitely needed ;-)

Mint version?
Desktop Environment?
Where are you expecting to see a preview - in the file manager whilst browsing around - or some other circumstance?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Yes. Is it Nemo? Pix? Image Viewer? What? Some applications also have thumbnails which is something different.
frostymusic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frostymusic »

Hello,

I think it would be Caja? I take pictures of things I want to sell. I transfer them to computer. I create listings, E-bay for example. I look for the pictures. The view I get of some, not all, don't show up in that "preview" area to the right. If I open my Pictures directory, the images are great. I discovered that some .JPG images will not "preview". I did learn that I can open and convert them to a .JPEG, and they view nicely.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

So this is in a web browser file selection dialog for upload?
Thumbnails display correctly in the File Manager itself?
Which browser?
Would you be willing to attach a problem image so we can see if we can replicate?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
frostymusic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frostymusic »

moon-1514773__340.jpeg.png
moon-1514773__340.jpg
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I meant attach an actual image file that's not previewing, not a screenshot of it's name. So we can test if it not previewing is reproducible on systems other than yours and try and work out why...

Anyway did some testing between Firefox and Chrome and it appears to be a Firefox issue - I get many images that don't preview in the file selection dialog in Firefox, all images preview fine if I use Chrome. Digging a bit deeper it appears Firefox spawns a slightly modified version of the GTK file selection dialog, Chrome uses the native GTK file selection dialog. I think this is a Firefox bug.
frostymusic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frostymusic »

So, how does one tell FF?

Return to “Beginner Questions”