Dual Boot: No Active Keyboard or Mouse

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShaneLab
Level 1
Level 1

Dual Boot: No Active Keyboard or Mouse

Post by ShaneLab »

I have searched for an answer but cannot find one anywhere.
I have used Mint in the past but have (as a work necessity) been using an iMac (intel chip, Monterey) for some years. I have been attempting to dual boot Linux and MacOS. I have flashed Mint 20.2 Cinnamon to a thumb drive and hope to install partitions on a formatted 1GB external Drive. I have installed refind dual boot which works. Mint starts to load correctly but my Apple Keyboard and Mouse (both bluetooth) are inactive so I am unable to do anything except reboot into MacOS.
Is there a solution for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dhril
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual Boot: No Active Keyboard or Mouse

Post by dhril »

Take a look at this page https://organicdesign.nz/Apple_wireless ... d_on_Linux

Though you should find regular USB keyboard temporary, or mouse with on screen keyboard so you can enter what is needed
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Dual Boot: No Active Keyboard or Mouse

Post by pbear »

ShaneLab wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:53 am ... hope to install partitions on a formatted 1GB external Drive.
Warning: You have to do that in a particular way or the Ubuntu/Mint installer will bollix your internal drive's EFI partition. Not a problem so long as the external drive is attached, but your base system won't boot if the external drive is removed. This is a bug, obviously, and inexcusable, as Ubuntu has known about the bug for nine years now.

Anyhoo, there are workarounds to avoid triggering the bug. See this tutorial. For your setup, Unflag-Reflag probably will be the best fit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”