How to empty .Trash-0 owned by root [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to empty .Trash-0 owned by root

Post by Cosmo. »

pbear wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:05 am FYI, the problem of using sudo with GUI apps was solved in Ubuntu 19.10 and isn't an issue with LM20 (based on Ubuntu 20.04).
This is not the point. The change in 19.10 is, that the option -H is no longer needed to preserve $HOME. But this has nothing to do, that sudo in conjunction with graphical programs cries for trouble. That means: sudo is the wrong command, if elevated rights in conjunction with graphical programs are needed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:04 am ... sudo is the wrong command ...
No doubt, you are a very knowledgeable user. On the other hand, every other very knowledgeable user I've seen express an opinion on the subject says the linked fix indeed fixed the problem.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

pbear wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:21 am linked fix indeed fixed the problem.
Replace "the" with "many" and I agree.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

To be clear, I'm not saying it is harmless for the OP to use sudo to run VMWare. Indeed, I said the opposite in the same post as the one from which you quoted. If a user opens File Manager as Admin/Root, e.g., using the right-click option in Cinnamon or Mate, then copies a file into Home, that file will be owned by user root.

This isn't a malfunction. It's a consequence of running an app as Admin/Root. Which is why users should only use elevated privileges when they're actually needed, just as you've said all along in this thread.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

pbear wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:48 am If a user opens File Manager as Admin/Root, e.g., using the right-click option in Cinnamon or Mate, then copies a file into Home, that file will be owned by user root.

This isn't a malfunction. It's a consequence of running an app as Admin/Root. Which is why users should only use elevated privileges when they're actually needed, just as you've said all along in this thread.
I fully agree. If a user uses elevated rights for a task, where elevated rights are not needed than (s)he does something very stupid. - BTW: What I said here is something, what I say since some years, again and again. (And again and again it is needed to repeat it. :cry: )
Daisuke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Daisuke »

I do not appreciate being told that what I am doing is stupid. It may have been a mistake but not made out of stupidity, merely lack of knowledge. I have resolved my root ownership problems and will mark this thread solved. While I am grateful that you warned me of the potential risks in having files owned by root in my home directory, the entire experience has been rather miserable and something I do not care to repeat. I found some of the comments rather condescending and harsh. Some of you even seem to insult other members who were offering help. I am sure that there are plenty of things you are not experts in and need help with. I hope you find kinder, less judgemental teachers when you do need help so instead of being turned off to learning something about a subject like Linux, you are glad to be more knowledgeable and capable and grateful to those who helped you. As a parent, that is the way I try to help my kids and grandkids. And as a former teacher, that is they way I treated my students.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to empty .Trash-0 owned by root [SOLVED]

Post by pbear »

Conversely, when someone with almost 18,000 posts on the Forum tells you something about how Linux works or should be done, perhaps you could listen instead of arguing.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

What I wrote was not with the intention to insult. If you feel insulted, than I beg your pardon.

Regarding the content: I stay with what I wrote in my previous post. Using elevated rights for a task, where this is not necessary to reach the goal, is one of the biggest mistakes that can be done. Perhaps you like this judgement better. Not only for the poster, but also for all the users, who read here (and possibly learn something) this warning cannot be said clear enough and often enough. I said already, that this is something, what I addressed in the past already very often. As long as this mistake gets done it is strongly needed to warn against it - with words, which hopefully do not get forgotten.
Daisuke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Daisuke »

Thank you Cosmo. I do value your help, very much.

Return to “Beginner Questions”