Windows animation configuration button gone.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EV1LG
Level 1
Level 1

Windows animation configuration button gone.

Post by EV1LG »

Hello guys,

I'm using cinnamon as a primary desktop environment and for some reason i can't configure the animation (when minize or open the window) anymore.

I tried to go to configuration > effects but it doesn't appear the button to configure the animations:

Any help? I'm not using LM but since cinnamon is the DE maintained by the LM team, i thinked i should ask here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Windows animation configuration button gone.

Post by Cosmo. »

Is it a secret, which system you use? I like secrets. 8)

What you show is the configuration window, as it appears in Mint 20.3 Cinnamon. So I can only assume, that you mean some settings, which had been in older versions, but not more available.

Only thing what you can do is to activate the maximize option (second last).
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

EV1LG wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:34 am Hello guys,

I'm using cinnamon as a primary desktop environment and for some reason i can't configure the animation (when minize or open the window) anymore.

I tried to go to configuration > effects but it doesn't appear the button to configure the animations:
If you check this topic solved, What is Fly?, xenopeek's post shows the screenshot for Cinnamon in LM20.2 and indicates the effects are being streamlined for Cinnamon in LM20.3.

Your screenshot is the LM20.3 version and it currently has three options for Minimize, None, Traditional, or Fly.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

You can install and run dconf-editor to see changes from old cinnamon version.
desktop effects in previous cinnamon editions.png
On new verion effects has been simplified as SMG indicates and there are no customize options for current effect.
effects on cinnamon 5.2 .png
If you have upgraded your secret system, maybe you can find old features (as desktop-effects-style) and old effects are still on dconf-editor>org>cinnamon and you can remove them there if they are not working.
Captura de pantalla_2022-05-14_20-25-53.png
(edited)
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Wed May 18, 2022 3:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
EV1LG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EV1LG »

I want to increase the slowliness of the animation when i minimize or open a window, that's all.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Now Customize options are not available on Cinnamon 5.2+ version (hope it will be restored on future edition but you can't find a way to configure current effects on dconf-editor as you can see on my edited last post). That means current effects transition and time are difined by default when choosing traditional or fly.

The only way to modify current effects time on new edition would be modifying system configuration files (most probably /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/windowEffect.js).

As it is said on New features in LM Cinnamon 20.3 they are working on it, and I will wait.
This was done within the scope of an upcoming mutter rebase which will land in a future version of Cinnamon and provide even better effects
(edited)
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Wed May 18, 2022 4:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Don't overlook, that the OP still keeps the system as a secret. So Timeshift is probably not an option.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

You are right. I forgot it's a secret system (sssshhhh) not LM, so restore a LM 20.2 Timeshift snapshot is not an option. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”