[SOLVED][20.3 XFCE] Can't run xreader, "libGLX.so.0: undefined symbol"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stan4611
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED][20.3 XFCE] Can't run xreader, "libGLX.so.0: undefined symbol"

Post by Stan4611 »

Hello

I am using Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE. I can't run xreader. When I try to run in from the menu, nothing happens. When I try to run it from the terminal, I get the following message:

Code: Select all

xreader: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so.0: undefined symbol: serverClient
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [20.3 XFCE] Can't run xreader, "libGLX.so.0: undefined symbol"

Post by xenopeek »

Is this a fresh install of Linux Mint 20.3 or did you upgrade it in place from an older version? If from version 20 or earlier, did you install usrmerge at some point? Check with command file /lib that your /lib directory is a symbolic link to usr/lib.

Check with apt policy libglx0 that you have the 1.3.2-1~ubuntu0.20.04.2 version of this package and it is installed from the Ubuntu package base repository. Output should look like this:

libglx0:
  Installed: 1.3.2-1~ubuntu0.20.04.2
  Candidate: 1.3.2-1~ubuntu0.20.04.2
  Version table:
 *** 1.3.2-1~ubuntu0.20.04.2 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.3.1-1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
Stan4611
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stan4611 »

Thank you for answering. I have checked file /lib and it is a symbolic link to usr/lib. Output of of apt policy libglx0 looks just like yours. I don't remember if I installed usrmerge, do I probably didn't. This is an upgrade from Mint 20.2. It worked fine until I started having problems with Nvidia drivers, the system was always starting with a low resolution. I tried installing and uninstalling multiple versions of Nvidia drivers, including those I downloaded from Nvidia, now I got back to the drivers distributed with Mint. I must have broken something when trying to fix the driver issue.
Stan4611
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stan4611 »

I have noticed that

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so.0
is a symbolic link to

libGLX.so
, which in turn is a symbolic link to

/var/lib/flatpak/runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-390-147/x86_64/1.4/active/files/extra/libglx.so.390.147
, but the driver version I have set in the driver manager is 340, not 390 :?: :?:
Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2022-05-16_20-03-00.png
Stan4611
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stan4611 »

I have manually changed the symbolic link libGLX.so to point to

/var/lib/flatpak/runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-340-108/x86_64/1.4/active/files/extra/libglx.so.340.108
. I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do, anyway it had no effect, I still can't run xreader. I get the same error message:

xreader: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so.0: undefined symbol: serverClient
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Stan4611 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:45 pmIt worked fine until I started having problems with Nvidia drivers, the system was always starting with a low resolution.
Often, the fix described in this post [SOLVED] NVIDIA driver failing sometimes on boot ("no hardware acceleration") fixes that issue.
Stan4611 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:45 pmI tried installing and uninstalling multiple versions of Nvidia drivers, including those I downloaded from Nvidia, now I got back to the drivers distributed with Mint. I must have broken something when trying to fix the driver issue.
How were you installing and uninstalling the drivers?

The drivers from the Nvidia website are not exactly the same as the ones from the package management system and thus are installed/uninstalled differently from the packaged drivers.

Do you have a Timeshift snapshot of your operating system before you began having the issues with the low resolution? If so, I recommend reverting back to that and then using the fix I linked above.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Stan4611
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stan4611 »

Thanks for the information about this fix, I'll use this solution next time I fall into this problem again.
I have downloaded the drivers from the Nvidia website, then I have installed them from command line after disabling XFCE with

service lightdm stop
command. I have used the command

sudo apt purge *nvidia*
before I installed the system-provided drivers again. No, I don't use Timeshift. Now I would like to totally remove all Nvidia drivers, as it looks like the purge command above has left many remnants. Is there a better way to do it than just manually deleting files?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Stan4611 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:12 pmI have downloaded the drivers from the Nvidia website, then I have installed them from command line after disabling XFCE with

service lightdm stop
command. I have used the command

sudo apt purge *nvidia*
before I installed the system-provided drivers again.
That command does not remove the Nvidia driver you installed from the Nvidia website, so it sounds like you have two sets of the drivers installed on your system. That usually causes problems.

The website driver files do not use a package management system. In order to use the website files, you should remove any driver files installed with the Mint package system and then install the files from the website. To switch back, you must run the uninstaller for the website driver before installing drivers from Mint's package management system.
Stan4611 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:12 pmNow I would like to totally remove all Nvidia drivers, as it looks like the purge command above has left many remnants.
I do not know what you are checking to say there are many remnants and I'm not completely sure what you are calling the "system provided drivers". I do not know if that means the open-source nouveau driver or the proprietary Nvidia drivers available in Driver Manager.

Please provide the output

inxi -Fxxxrz
and

dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
Stan4611
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stan4611 »

Thank you for your assistance. I have uninstalled the downloaded Nvidia drivers from the command line, then purged all the nvidia packages again, then I have installed the Nvidia drivers from the Driver Manager and then I have reinstalled the GLX libraries using apt and now it seems to work fine.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Stan4611 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:56 amnow it seems to work fine.
Glad to hear all is working. Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.

Return to “Beginner Questions”