apps not showing on desktop at starting-SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dig2021
Level 1
Level 1

Re: apps not showing on desktop at starting

Post by dig2021 »

wifi results
wifi results
IMG_20220517_071418816_HDR.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 501 times
apps starting but not showing on desktop
apps starting but not showing on desktop
IMG_20220517_071255461.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 501 times
I don't really see what the wifi has to do with the app problem but here are the results
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

You have a broadcom wireless card so you need to install correct broadcom driver for it.
The one you want is

Code: Select all

bcmwl-kernel-source
It's in the mint repository but you would have to connect via Ethernet cable or tether it via cellphone to install it.
It used to be on the live USB stick as an option but haven't checked recently to see if it's still there.

That is a fairly simple fix for the wifi. So now I would not be afraid of reinstalling the system and seeing if you can fix the app problem.

I just checked the Bcmwl driver is still on the live usb stick and can be install from there. also. It will require that you download a couple of other dependencies also. the driver is found under the folder /pool/main/b/BCMWL. on the usb stick.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

your other alternative is to take it back to the shop that did the install for you and have them figure it out.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
dig2021
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dig2021 »

Thanks for that, done the reinstall, same problem with some apps
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

dig2021 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:36 am Thanks for that, done the reinstall, same problem with some apps
A mystery. "Same problem after reinstall", but actually you wrote, that there haven't been problems in the past (after your own installation on the original drive). As to be read here:
Cosmo. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:58 am I am confused. In the starting post you wrote or at least I understood -, that the trouble began, after a shop had installed the new SSD. To my understanding this means, until that time all was OK.
dig2021 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:15 am Originally there was a standard hard drive installed which had a new installation of mint, everything seemed OK but to speed the system up I asked a shop if they could install a SSD which they did. They then did a fresh and updated mint install on the new SSD and that's when the issues started. Having said that, the original install I'd only been using for a few days but I did use deluge so the problem wasn't there on the standard original hard drive.
What advice can be given with such a mysterious description?
dig2021
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dig2021 »

Yes, on the original hard disk it was working, the type that spin not the ssd that's in now
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you have preserved your home folder during the new installation? I mean, is it possible, that there are some old corpses laying?

Do another counter check with a guest account.
dig2021
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dig2021 »

I don't understand what you mean, anyway like I originally said I don't think it's the installation because the same problem happens running from a live usb
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

dig2021 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:26 am the same problem happens running from a live usb
In that case I have not the smallest clue, how you could have written this:
dig2021 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:15 am Originally there was a standard hard drive installed which had a new installation of mint, everything seemed OK but to speed the system up I asked a shop if they could install a SSD which they did. They then did a fresh and updated mint install on the new SSD and that's when the issues started. Having said that, the original install I'd only been using for a few days but I did use deluge so the problem wasn't there on the standard original hard drive.
And I have no idea, how this mystery could get solved.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Ok let start again. Do you know what SSD they installed? Was it NVME?
Did they turn off secure boot in BIOS /UEFI?
You have never told us which applications have been affected by this. Please give us the info we need to help solve the problem. Is it every app you try or just a select few?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

kc1di, the OP named the programs here: viewtopic.php?p=2176642#p2176642

Besides that: The ssd cannot be the cause of the problem, because the problems are also visible, when the programs run from the live system.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:08 am kc1di, the OP named the programs here: viewtopic.php?p=2176642#p2176642

Besides that: The ssd cannot be the cause of the problem, because the problems are also visible, when the programs run from the live system.
Well it seems that the problem did not start until the SSD was installed and It worked fine before the HD was removed. So I'm not sure the ssd is not involved in some way. I still think a reinstall may be the answer. But that's just my opinion. I did not see any listing of the apps he is talking about in the link you provided.
I'll shut up now and let others carry on and look forward to seeing if it can be resolved. :)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

kc1di wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:52 am I did not see any listing of the apps he is talking about in the link you provided.
dig2021 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 am Not OK deluge, transmission, freetube, but not installed many yet.
dig2021
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dig2021 »

Sorry, unfortunately I don't know any details regarding what the ssd is or what they did as regards bios/uefi. I've tried starting other apps to see which are affected and as well as the ones previously listed there's also hexchat, rhythmbox, system monitor, synaptic, package manager, but software manager works OK
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

dig2021 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:11 am there's also hexchat, rhythmbox, system monitor, synaptic, package manager, but software manager works OK
I do not find any logic behind this. Especially the preinstalled programs are supposed to work.

Do you have the chance to put the live usb stick into another computer and compare there?

Did you verify the integrity of the downloaded ISO-image? See https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... erify.html
dig2021
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dig2021 »

Yes, the integrity of the ISO was checked. The usb works fine in other PCs and my main desktop that I use daily so I suppose it must be something to do with the macbook
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

After the checks, which you did, I would have come to the same conclusion. But I have no idea and no experience, what Apple might have done here.
dig2021
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dig2021 »

hurray sussed it, for some reason the computer was thinking there was another monitor and some apps were opening there, when I clicked the little app icon on the taskbar and clicked the option "move to other monitor" it then appeared on my desktop, that didn't entirely solve the issue though as when apps were closed and reopened same thing was happening, I then went to display setting and clicked "mirror displays" restarted computer and everything seems perfect!! Thanks for the help anyway.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Glad you got it sorted, I most likely would never have thought of that. They may have used and external monitor when working on your machine at the shop and just never switched it back. Who know :)

Please edit your first post and add Solved to the subject line.

Return to “Beginner Questions”