Update Manager won't update (stucked on Linux Mint version 20.1)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
omanusou
Level 1
Level 1

Update Manager won't update (stucked on Linux Mint version 20.1)

Post by omanusou »

Hello everyone!

As the title says my my Update Manager doesn't seem to work along, and after that I can not proceed to a newer version on the system. I am adding a screenshot to see the exact error message.

https://imgur.com/wsLl5k3

It says file has unexpected size, am I running out of space? currently have split my laptop's SSD for linux and windows. Windows holds the biggest amount of space and my Linux free space is around 33GBs.

Tried also update to the newest operation version but I don't see any difference.

Waiting for your comments.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Update Manager won't update (stucked on Linux Mint version 20.1)

Post by karlchen »

You have to switch to a different Linux Mint Repository Server.
Evowise (to be read in your screenshot) quit being a valid Linux Mint repository servers months ago.
Close Update Manager.
Launch Software Sources. Change the Mint repository server.
Close Software Sources.
Launch Update Manager and try again.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

karlchen has answered the main question. But you raise another point:
omanusou wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:35 pm ... my Linux free space is around 33GBs.
In my experience, no, that's not enough space in the long run. At a minimum, you should be saving Timeshift snapshots to a USB flash drive. Are you doing the snapshots? Or not because there's not enough room?
omanusou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by omanusou »

I had to change the mirror server few times to find someone who was working along. After that everything came along, cache and system updated too, thanks for your help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”