Ctrl + ; brings up the copy history for the last 6 things I've copied. How do I erase the history?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evolution
Level 1
Level 1

Ctrl + ; brings up the copy history for the last 6 things I've copied. How do I erase the history?

Post by evolution »

I'm running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon

Here's a video of what it looks like: https://anonfiles.com/LaNcydh8y7/Clipboard_mp4

I'm confused as to which program is recording this history, or if it's a universal thing for Linux in general.

I've tried searching for that hotkey, and for information on Linux and Linux Mint clipboard history, but all the search results are talking about 3rd party programs. I haven't installed any of these programs...

I want to be able to clear/manage these for privacy reasons (don't want to accidentally hit this hotkey while showing someone my screen, and give them a nice summary of the <violates forum rules> links I've copied :roll:

I believe the 2nd entry on the list is whatever I've last highlighted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Ctrl + ; brings up the copy history for the last 6 things I've copied. How do I erase the history?

Post by rickNS »

What program are you using when that happens ?

Because when I'm using xed on Cinnamon, and press that key combination Ctrl + ; I get a bunch of smilies. Which I never knew of, so thanks for the thread.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Ctrl + ; brings up the copy history for the last 6 things I've copied. How do I erase the history?

Post by Termy »

Definitely not universal, because it can be a potential issue for privacy/security. You probably have a clipboard manager installed out of the box. Personally, I erase the clipboard (X clipboard and X selection buffer) with xclip(1) whenever I copy something sensitive, using the following:

Code: Select all

printf '' | xclip -sel c; printf '' | xclip
I'm a terminal user, so it's suitable for me. In your case, you'd probably want to use and configure your clipboard manager accordingly. Check the bottom-right of the screen, where those little icons are. I think that's usually where a clipboard manager is found.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
evolution
Level 1
Level 1

Post by evolution »

rickNS wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:34 pm What program are you using when that happens ?

Because when I'm using xed on Cinnamon, and press that key combination Ctrl + ; I get a bunch of smilies. Which I never knew of, so thanks for the thread.
I get that menu in any text field that I've tried so far! Including xed, LibreOffice Writer, and the Firefox search and address fields.

For me, the smiley menu comes up with I press Ctrl + . , weirdly enough...

Termy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:52 pm Definitely not universal, because it can be a potential issue for privacy/security. You probably have a clipboard manager installed out of the box. Personally, I erase the clipboard (X clipboard and X selection buffer) with xclip(1) whenever I copy something sensitive, using the following:

printf '' | xclip -sel c; printf '' | xclip
I'm a terminal user, so it's suitable for me. In your case, you'd probably want to use and configure your clipboard manager accordingly. Check the bottom-right of the screen, where those little icons are. I think that's usually where a clipboard manager is found.
That's interesting. So does that imply that my copy/paste history is stored in a non-standard location? In Linux, everything is a file, right? I was originally planning to try and search for the location of this clipboard history file, but had no luck. If it's not a native Linux feature, finding the program that causes it will be like trying to find a needle in the haystack!

I already tried

whereis xclip
and got nothing. And I searched in the Linux Mint Software Manager for clipboard, and I didn't have any of those software installed already. There isn't anything clipboard related among my 'tray icons' in the bottom right: just the calendar, brightness, sound, wireless, notifications, updates, ibus Keyboard switcher, and 3 other apps that I can clearly identify.

Any recommendations for how I can discover the culprit app without having to reinstall Mint?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Clipboard Manager is only a guess in lack of another idea. And xclip is only one of the possible programs of this type.

Usually a clipboard manager places a tray icon. Inspect all tray icons to learn, what they do. There is also the chance, that a tray icon has been disabled. But you should find a starter in the startup section of the system, so inspect that also.

But perhaps it is something else, not a clipboard manager. Create a guest account (in the log in window settings), reboot the computer and log into the guest account and check there. You could also compare the startup section of the system settings in both accounts.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I've loaded up a Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon virtual machine, but I can't find any clipboard manager either. There's no package name with 'clip' in it and nothing in the main menu which has 'clip' in it. That's at least by default. You may have inadvertently installed a clipboard manager, though. It's possibly built into the window manager or something; something Cinnamon-specific, maybe.

There is xclipboard(1), but I'm highly doubtful that's it, because it's a standard tool which comes with the 'x11-apps' package; I have it on my system, but it doesn't do what you're getting, unless it's because I haven't got that set up.

BTW, when I enter Ctrl + Semicolon in XED, I get a pop-up for entering emojis and what-not, but nothing to do with the clipboard. :? Did you by any chance install a special plugin for XED? I noticed it supports plugins (see Preferences).
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

evolution wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:48 pm I get that menu in any text field that I've tried so far! Including xed, LibreOffice Writer, and the Firefox search and address fields.
Open a terminal, then invoke the menu you are seeing in some other application and in the terminal run wmctrl -lx - report the output which should give a clue as to the source (as long as the menu remains visible when you transfer focus to the terminal).
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
evolution
Level 1
Level 1

Post by evolution »

Here's an update to what I've found!

The copy history has to do with having Fcitx installed.

I'm not sure how to keep Fcitx installed and not have it save copy history.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Open /.config/fcitx/conf/fcitx-clipboard.config or similarly named file
and comment out any option to retain clipboard history.

Return to “Beginner Questions”