Fresh install LM 20.3 on Desktop refuses to sometimes shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erebus_oneiros
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh install LM 20.3 on Desktop refuses to sometimes shutdown

Post by erebus_oneiros »

Hi,

Long time user of LM, and I have never seen this weird issue.

I recently installed LM 20.3 on the used desktop that I got and it refuses to sometimes shutdown properly and hangs on the poweroff screen (I pressed F1 during the poweroff screen, see the attached picture).

I will add that this happens sometimes but not always. I am very confused as to what might be causing it. I would really appreciate any help in figuring this out and I don't want to keep doing cold shutdown.

-Erebus
Attachments
photo_2022-05-17_19-49-43._small.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Fresh install LM 20.3 on Desktop refuses to sometimes shutdown

Post by pdc_2 »

whilst others suggest solutions:

if I mention the advice that if the computer will not shut down, if you press the following keys in sequence, it will quickly shut down safely;

Left Alt button ...... keep holding down ..... then in sequence one by one press ......

PrintScreen
r
e
i
s
u
o

..... if you substitute the letter

Code: Select all

o
with b, that will cause a reboot ........
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

After the reboot, you can look in the system log for messages. There are millions of messages and few of relevance. How often does it happen? Is it after hours of heavy use?

I noticed something similar after using USB devices. Timeshift seems to lock the USB disk in, unmount/eject not working, and sometimes that blocks shutdown. Have you noticed any pattern?
erebus_oneiros
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erebus_oneiros »

I haven't noticed any pattern yet. Will update if I figure out a usage pattern. Meanwhile are there any logs that I can check. Is there a failure log that the shutdown process stores?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The system log, /var/log/syslog, contains all messages up to the point where the system can no longer write to disk. The system usually starts a new log file each boot or day. You might have to look in syslog.1.

Return to “Beginner Questions”