[SOLVED] Errors on Boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pretty Pixel
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Errors on Boot

Post by Pretty Pixel »

I have errors listed on boot (please see screenshot). These disappear quickly and the Desktop loads normally. Do I need to be concerned, will they lead to further problems, or system instability if unresolved?

Many thanks.

IMG_1561.jpeg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Errors on Boot

Post by djph »

it's a bad implementation of ACPI by your motherboard manufacturer. Not a whole lot you can do, unless there's an updated BIOS/UEFI image available.
Pretty Pixel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pretty Pixel »

Thank you for the reply. I already have the latest BIOS update installed. Should I be concerned about the errors? Could it lead to problems later?
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

My motherboard (ASUS) does basically the same thing and I am running the newest BIOS. don't worry about it, your computer will work as expected.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
Pretty Pixel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pretty Pixel »

Thank you for the reassurance.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

During startup, Linux looks for things then produces messages along the lines of X not found. Some of the missing things are purely optional. Some are recommended in standards but not compulsory. Some are useful and really should be compulsory. As an example, USB 3.0 was so full of holes, they hard to rewrite it as USB 3.1.

The first step is to run the dmesg command and look for messages highlighted in red. They are errors you should fix. There are other highlighted things to look at as they can be useful. Anything not highlighted can be ignored when there are no symptoms of problems.

You might visit the disk smart data each month to detect failing disks (mostly for magnetic) or overheating (SSD). During the monthly check, you might look at the disk space in each partition because Linux tends to work until it is too late then lock up. Once per year, clean out the fans.

Timeshift helps you recover from the rare failed system software update. Run Timeshift to an external USB disk after any big update, say a kernel update. Backintime does the same for your user data and should be run to multiple external disks.

You are now safe from all the common problems. :D

Oh, there is Firejail to protect from sloppy Web browsers and Noscript to make Web browsers less sloppy. Application failures happen more often than Linux software failures.
Pretty Pixel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pretty Pixel »

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Return to “Beginner Questions”