USB mounted DVD O/S

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Finston Pickle
Level 3
Level 3

USB mounted DVD O/S

Post by Finston Pickle »

I have been looking at migrating my existing Linux O/S to a new laptop but have thought of a possible alternative.

A new laptop would be £850 wheres an HP allin one with a 21.5 in screen is £425. Admittedly running Windows 11S

My 500 Gb, USB HDD is set up so that when plugged into my Linux laptop and the machine is switched on, it boots from the USB HDD. I know that to use an alternate, different laptop that there are UUIDs on partitions that need to be amended using Fstab to reflect the new laptop UUIDs.

Say I plugged into a Windows 11 PC, would it similarly work or would EUFI, safe start and other protectives need to be switched off first?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: USB mounted DVD O/S

Post by Hoser Rob »

Since USB is a serial connection running an OS from that is going to be very slow.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Finston Pickle wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:47 am Say I plugged into a Windows 11 PC, would it similarly work or would EUFI, safe start and other protectives need to be switched off first?
I've had mixed results booting full install USB drives on a Win11 machine (ASUS Vivobook) I bought about a month ago. Part of the problem seems to be new security measures (in addition to secure boot). I'm also having trouble with the new machine's USB ports, though, so it's a compound problem and I haven't had enough time for serious troubleshooting.

On the bright side, if you're only booting Mint from the USB drive, that seems to work fine.

Don't understand your comment about needing to modify fstab for new UUIDs. If it's a full install USB drive, the relevant UUIDs are on the USB drive and don't change because you boot on a different machine.
Hoser Rob wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 am Since USB is a serial connection running an OS from that is going to be very slow.
FWIW, not bad. Not as fast as an internal drive, of course, but not bad.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

USB 3 at 5 Gbps is about the same speed as SATA so a boot from an external USB 3 disk will look the same as an internal disk of the same type, say magnetic vs magnetic. Lots of motherboards have problems where they share two USB ports on one chip and that limits their speed if you use two disks on the same chip.

For devices with internal NVMe 3 or 4 storage, you need USB 3.2 gen 2 * 2 at 20 Gbps or USB 4 with 40 Gbps to get the same speed.

Note that USB 3.0 is sloppy and lets people label incomplete implementations of USB 3.0 as USB 3. Depending on the chip in the USB 3 devices, important parts of USB 3 might work or might not work, making a noticeable difference to the usable speed. I call the faulty chips USB 2.5 and threw out the USB 3.0 enclosures with faulty chips. You can check the devices using the lsusb command. Find their USB ID then search for the ID + Linux.

Return to “Beginner Questions”